Dulux Diamond Paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a newly plastered kitchen and have been recommended to use Dulux Diamond as very hard wearing and washable. Can anyone recommend best undercoating/sealing product or method.

Sponsored Links
I like the diamond eggshell and its what i normally use in kitchens. The diamond matt to my mind doesn't give a very good matt finish. The little green do a tough matt which would be ok and gives a good matt finish but my first choice is always eggshell as it repels water and is washable and tough. Bear in mind that eggshell does have a slight sheen.

Apply a mist coat which is watered down matt paint, dilute by around 30%, then light sand to de-nib and remove high spots, spot prime where/if you've rubbed back to plaster, dust off and go with two finish coats. Any filling should be done after the mist coat and once rubbed down this filler should be spot primed with the same paint you used for your mist coat. Use a mini roller for the spot priming to avoid brush marks and spread the paint out to avoid patternation.

Forgot to say make sure your plaster is completely dry and under no circumstances apply PVA ever ever ever...

Thanks. Is "mist coat" best applied with roller or brush ?, or doesn't it matter as I will then be sanding. Sorry if this is a daft question, bit of newbie at anything other doing a bit of glossing !!!

i would recommend a roller as it is a lot faster and gives in my opinion a better finish (some people prefer a brushed finish though). use a good quality medium pile roller like a hamilton woven (my preference not everybodies) or equivalent. be sure to spread it out well to ensure that you don't leave a too textured finish.

forgot to say apply your mist coat using the same method as your finish coats.

Sponsored Links
Following from my earlier about painting new plaster, my main room has some areas of new plaster skimmed into and sanded into existing, older, already painted areas.
Should I just lightly sand down already painted walls and use same process of misting all over the room as for new plaster areas.

Will probably just be normal emulsion all over.

Thanks for any replys. Tempted to just do a "Mr Bean" and put large, lit firework into bag of paint and close the door quickly, but not sure this is an approach the wife will approve of !!!!!!!.

you will just need to mist the bare plaster areas and any filler that you have applied.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back