Dulux - Endurance+, Kitchen+, Bathroom+?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The wife wants to get painting in the kitchen, so obviously out of these 3 you'd think kitchen+, but hold your horses, there's a reason for me asking...

In the kitchen there's a few black spots on the wallpaper that is in the diner (it's a kitchen/diner in one). Assuming through condensation perhaps?

Anyway, my wife got talking to one of her workmates & they said that they'd had the same in their kitchen & they actually used bathroom+ in there & it's sorted it.

I had a look at the tins:

bathroom+ says "mouldtec formulation" on the front.
kitchen+ says "grease proof formulation"
endurance+ says "diamond tough formulation".

So if there's bits of mould on the paper i would've thought bathroom+ & that her workmate would be correct.

I don't want to jump the gun any though & to find that the bathroom+ has some properties in it that'll have me regretting the choice at a later date & make me wish i'd posted this thread.

So on that note - is bathroom+ fine in a kitchen? It wont have water/condensation forming on top of it will it?
Or is it all a load of balls & i should get [insert alternative possibly cheaper paint here]?

Sponsored Links
I'm not too familiar with the DIY paints, but this stuff probably equates to acrylic eggshell, the zinsser permawhite is popular too and this does have anti mould protection so its your best bet. The eggshell is washable and scrubbable (to a point) and is ideal for kitchens and bathrooms as any water/condensation will run straight off of it.

I'm not too familiar with the DIY paints, but this stuff probably equates to acrylic eggshell, the zinsser permawhite is popular too and this does have anti mould protection so its your best bet. The eggshell is washable and scrubbable (to a point) and is ideal for kitchens and bathrooms as any water/condensation will run straight off of it.
I do have permawhite but i think it was this forum i enquired about it on & was told that it needs to be the top coat (or perhaps only coat?). My wife isn't wanting white, she's wanting some sort of colour so i guess it'd rule that out.

I emailed Dulux who obviously said Kitchen+. Due to the name it'd be the obvious choice. But with the Bathroom+ being MOULDtec which we have black spots of, and the Kitchen+ only saying greaseproof, i thought the Bathroom+ sounded more fitting.

What i wasn't wanting was loads of condensation just running down the walls or some other bad effect from picking the incorrect paint.

I've used kitchen+ and it seems OK. Last week we tried endurance+ and it was bl**dy awful to put on giving a very uneaven finish and lifting if you went over it even shortly after. We ended up using normal dulux instead.

Sponsored Links
I've used kitchen+ and it seems OK. Last week we tried endurance+ and it was bl**dy awful to put on giving a very uneaven finish and lifting if you went over it even shortly after. We ended up using normal dulux instead.
Thanks for the feedback.

I only listed Endurance+ really as i was in B&Q having a read of the tins & saw that one next to the other 2. It is really the Kitchen-v-Bathroom i was wondering about. I dare say bathroom would be fine in the kitchen but not vice versa.

You can tint the zinsser. I always spec the eggshell for kitchens and bathrooms, its water resistant, grease can be washed off as can most household stains. Mould can be cleaned off so i would only spec a mould resistant paint in a room that was constantly problematic. If this is the case go with the bathroom stuff, there's no reason why you can't use it in a kitchen.

there's no reason why you can't use it in a kitchen.
I thought so, but i figured i'd ask to make sure as i'm just sick to death of things going wrong with this flipping house (or rather the things i'm doing).

If this is the case go with the bathroom stuff, there's no reason why you can't use it in a kitchen.

I am not sure that using a paint containing fungicides in a food preparation area is a terribly sensible idea. Personally I would not do it.

I am not sure that using a paint containing fungicides in a food preparation area is a terribly sensible idea. Personally I would not do it.
Interesting, but then i wouldn't have thought the paint would continuously give off anything 'nasty' into the air? If it did then surely it'd be no good for any room, not just a kitchen? Plus it's not like we'll be rubbing our tea all over the walls before eating.

Or am i missing your point?

I used Dulux Diamond Matt in the kitchen, and it is definitely more durable than normal matt.

I would suggest treating the damp spots prior to painting, and then you should be able to use any paint finish you want.

Dulux Endurance is an acrylic paint. I think Diamond Matt is the trade version. I used Endurance in most of my house and its brilliant. It takes an extra coat compared to normal paint, and it costs more, but it wipes clean so easily, and it is tougher. I wish I'd used it in my kitchen.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back