Dulux Once Gloss - Yellowing - What to Do?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

We're currently renovating and redecorating our whole house. For the skirtings, doors and architraves, we wanted a white gloss finish, so chose Dulux Once Gloss. Big mistake! It has started to yellow already, and has only been on for 8 weeks. Where we had new skirting/architrave I undercoated - and then used the Dulux stuff. The new doors were pre-primed and so the gloss went straight on. The existing (gloss) woodwork was sanded back to bare wood, undercoated and glossed with the dulux.

Yellowing is most noticeable where there is no natural light, and I see looking online this is normal for oil based paints.....but surely not after such a short space of time? We live in a bungalow and the hallway is in the centre of the house with the rooms running round the perimiter - so the only natural light in there is what filters through the surrounding rooms - i.e. not much!

I see this is not uncommon for Dulux Once Gloss, it gets terrible reviews on the Internet from people experiencing the same problems. If only I checked first! Annoyingly we have had brand new carpets fitted in 2 rooms which means they will need to come up or I will need to be very careful.

What would you guys suggest as the way forward?

Ideally, we would still like a gloss finish. But not if it's going to need re-doing every 8 weeks! I understand the water based glosses don't yellow as quickly? If we went for a satinwood or even eggshell finish would the whites stay white longer?

Also now concerned that if we move away from oil gloss and go for water based gloss, or oil / water based satinwood / eggshell - am I going to need to sand back down to bare wood, or just kill the gloss with some sandpaper?

Have found lots of advice on the net but mostly pre-2010 when the new paint forumlations came in - there's so much contradictory advice out there - I would be really grateful to get an up to date opinion from someone that knows their stuff.

Thanks to all in advance for any help you can give :)

Sponsored Links
Since the paint manufacturers were forced to lower the solvent content in the paints at the start of 2010 it has caused no end of problems with the gloss paint prematurely yellowing. Some perform better than others. I used Dulux once gloss last year, the customer insisted on it, and it was truly awful, it yellowed badly in no time at all, shocking stuff. The only gloss I've found that stays white is crown solo and this is supported by the which magazine when they tested these paints last july. Jobs I've done with the crown solo ten months ago are still white, it is your best bet in my opinion. Just give the woodwork a light sand with some 120 grit and put the solo straight on, it's self undercoating so it can go over existing gloss with no problems.

Many thanks for your reply....sounds like if we want to stick with a solvent based gloss, that Crown Solo is the way to go! I will buy a small tin and paint some samples out to see how it measures up in our hallway.

I guess this is the shape of the future - eventually oil based paints will be phased out.

As oil based satinwood / eggshell are also subject to the VOC 2010 regulations, do they too suffer from premature yellowing? Or is it more a feature of the gloss?

I'm wondering if we should bite the bullet and go for a water based gloss. It's no doubt what we will be forced to use in the future. I know there is a lot of bad press on the internet about these - but most from a couple of years back, presumably early formulations? What are the water based gloss formulations of 2010/11 like? Can anyone recommend a good one, that gives a finish and shine comparable to an oil based gloss?

And if so - what would we need to do to the current oil based gloss surfaces to get good adhesion from the water based gloss?

Similarly, what would we need to do to the new surfaces that we are yet to gloss? We have a mixture of....pre-primed doors / bare wood skirting & architrave / some solid doors that I have already undercoated with an oil based undercoat!

Sorry for all the questions....but I'm keen to get it right this time.....

Thanks,
Leccy

Yes the 2010 satinwoods/eggshells yellow like the glosses do. I haven't come across any water based/acrylic glosses, satinwoods of eggshells that are adequate, they leave brushmarks and aren't as durable. Paint manufacturers are working to correct this but haven't quite got it right yet in my opinion.

Sponsored Links
I've just used water based gloss and the results are not good. Brush marks can be eliminated by loading enough paint and not spreading it too thinly but on large vertical surfaces (panalled door) I've ended up with runs. On large horizontal surfaces such as window sills the paint can not be layed off so it looks patchy and uneven. Using a gloss roller is no better. I was advised to not over-roll and to leave the bubbles (left behind from the roller) as they would disappear as the paint dried. They did but left pitting. The roller also leaves flat spots. The gloss has been successful on my narrow skirting boards and narrow door frames but that's about all. I'm thinking of trying Dulux Aquatic water based gloss (if they still make it) as I believe you can get a better finish with it when laying off. Does anyone know if it's still manufactured? Thanks

Hello

Perhaps the brush and rollers you are using are not of a high standard and this is affecting the finish.

I reccomend using dulux mohair mini rollers and purdey brushes. You could try thining a little with white spirits if you find the paint heavy and pulling on application.

Also are you using the reccomended undercoat in conjuction with the gloss.

regards

Mike
Cladding Coatings

The only gloss I've found that stays white is crown solo
Yes Solo convert here too. and, seems to be touch dry in a sensible time.

I'm thinking of trying Dulux Aquatic water based gloss (if they still make it)
Aquatec Discontinued now ;)

I tried the dulux water based ecosure gloss and u/c.. dissaponted , use twice as much trying to load evenly so that it flows out. ****ed off when I found area's where it had slumped. the gloss sheen not as high as satinwood. Ok on narow trims but nope i wont be doing any doors with it.

I used satinwood 'brilliant white' today on 12 doors/trims etc. It seems dulux have added some colour/blue tint as this alleged brilliant white was a distinct lavender shade, should be called starched white ffks :rolleyes:[/quote]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back