Dulux sued because its BRILLIANT WHITE paint fades to yellow

Sponsored Links
I'm printing a copy of that article so I can show everyone I know that's been affected.

Dulux claims it has now solved the problem that had affected a 'small minority' of customers.

I think they would find that the 'small minority' is everyone who used it but, with most being the typical Brit, they didn't complain! :evil:

"The couple painted all the doors and skirting in the hallway, landing, bathrooms and bedrooms in Dulux white satinwood"

And the incompetent Daily Mail has the stupidity to illustrate the story with a pic of a tub of Matt White Emusion

Its very poor journalism, as John pointed out about the tin of emulsion in the picture will probably make the punters think that 'ceiling' and 'wall' paint will yellow.

Had to laugh at the bloke that 'estimates' the cost of repainting eleven doors to be £2120, blimey i'll come and do it for £1500 and will laugh all the way there and all the way back.... i'll even supply the paint.

The above example is one of our compensation culture society, Dulux have opened the floodgates and the result will be higher prices, i've heard that Dulux lost £68,000,000 last year. They were a brilliant brand until the numpties at Akzo took them over, we now know why crown was always number two.

Sponsored Links
Dulux seem to have it sorted ~~ I did a test board with some duff voc10 brilliant white gloss and some with new ( :LOL: ) formulation with a blue lid. left it in a dark garage facing the wall .. the duff voc10 is like magnolia~ The new formulation with blue lid is still white ~~ and it dries ok ~~ satinwood same ~~
Been using it since december 011. no probs~~
Happy easter :)

Had to laugh at the bloke that 'estimates' the cost of repainting eleven doors to be £2120, blimey i'll come and do it for £1500 and will laugh all the way there and all the way back.... i'll even supply the paint.

The above example is one of our compensation culture....

Are you seriously saying you don't charge the going rate of £200 per door? I'm shocked! ;) ;)

Went back to a job that we finished last year in jan. The woodwork does not look to white! We used dulux trade satinwood. What paint does anyone recommend for its non yellowing qualities?

Went back to a job that we finished last year in jan. The woodwork does not look to white! We used dulux trade satinwood. What paint does anyone recommend for its non yellowing qualities?

I've been asking this for a while. It looks water based is the way to go.

I'll be trying the Johnstones shortly.

Wish i could get £200 a door Mr H, i'd be a rich man. Bet that bloke paid peanuts to get them done and just sees an oppertunity to make a few bob.

I always give clients a choice after explaining the issues and if they want solvent i normally use sikkens but have tried the blue lid and it seems ok. I still hate the shiney undercoat and have heard crown dries flat so gonna try it.
WB is the way forward, there just isn't a gloss that you can do broad areas with thats up to scratch. Keep saying it but the BL satura and BL u/c are very good and will end your search Joe

Wish i could get £200 a door Mr H, i'd be a rich man. Bet that bloke paid peanuts to get them done and just sees an oppertunity to make a few bob.

Me too! If he gets the £2k he's after, any decorator he gets in would be lucky to se a quarter of it!! :mad:

I always give clients a choice after explaining the issues...
...have tried the blue lid and it seems ok. I still hate the shiney undercoat and have heard crown dries flat so gonna try it.

Likewise, but won't be doing any painting for 6 months so hopefully everything will have improved even more by then - fingers crossed. :unsure:

We painted our bathroom cupboard with it, still got the tin.

Any recommendation on how to repaint it? what to do next?

I paint a lot of 8 x 4 mdf panels, shelving, boxing in and all manner of stuff. I started using the Dulux water based white gloss paints for these and have to say am very happy with the finish. I use 4" rollers and a pelican paint pot rather than a tray, easier to cover when unused paint is left over.
Now on wide boards before construction this is fine, however I find water based paint complete Cr** when painting smaller more delicate items like skirting and beads around windows frames and doors. It has no flow and looks like SILK and not the nice glassy gloss that I expect of a finish paint.
Some of my clients have asked me to paint the doors again expecting them to be more shinney!!!
I have always liked Dulux gloss and started looking out for the blue lids as soon as it appeared. My younger clients like the Satinwood which is also ok in my book, still gives a richer look to the paint.

Anyone out there found a good smooth flowing water based white??

Gloss? No.

Doesn't exist!

I reckon the sikkens will be ok but its not sold in the UK, its a marketing ploy to force us into the crap Dulux have developed. There is one place on the web selling it but i dont know if its new old stock.

The johnstones aqua enamel has a very good gloss look to it and really looks like oil once painted but again its difficult to apply over broad areas without it looking ropey

The johnstones aqua enamel has a very good gloss look to it and really looks like oil once painted but again its difficult to apply over broad areas without it looking ropey

I like the Johnstone's Aqua Satinwood and Gloss - the secret seems to be patience and wet abrasion in between coats.It may need three coats.

And let it cure undisturbed for a good two weeks for maximum toughness!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back