dulux trade paint problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all i'm a newbe on here and my first post is....
I am having trouble with painting dulux trade matt on to lined walls. I am painting it on with good quality brushes but im getting what can only be described as badly mottled finish - especially when viewed at an angle to the light. its as if the brush marks dont blend in and whenever I apply a new brushfull of paint a new textured mark appears. Have any of you guys experienced this? I consider myself reasonably competent at this sort of thing and I cannot for the life of me think of what I am doing wrong. This is the first time I have used quality trade paint and it does seem very thick to me, but that's probably what it's suppoed to be.
I have to say that I do prefer to use brush over a roller so maybe thats it..but I can't believe professionals get this sort of finish when they have to brush it.
Any advice would be welcome as i've got to do the downstairs and upstairs hallway and stairs so I don't want to mess it up

Sponsored Links
You should have thinned the first coat down, lining paper is very absorbent and sucks the moisture out of the paint very quickly before you have had a chance to spread it around..thus the orange peel finish.

Give it a really good rub down and do it again, youl find the second coat goes on a lot easier

Also...dulux can be a bit on the dry side and often needs a drop of water in it.

Sponsored Links
over lining...id say about 25%

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back