Dulux Trade Vinyl Matt...3 coats and counting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning everyone

I'm having a bit of 'fun' with the above paint in our front room. The room was previously a pale blue (contract matt??) and we are repainting in Dulux trade vinyl matt (orchid white).

I'm no pro but I'd say I'm not bad at decorating - I don't think I'm being stingy with the paint and I don't think I'm over-rolling it but I've now done 3 coats with a hamilton perfection roller and the paint is still looking patchy in places.

From previous experience with Dulux vinyl matt I'd normally expect to do 2 coats - probably 3 in this case due to the colour change...I nearly did a coat of supermatt (in a similar colour) to begin with and I'm wishing I had done that now!

Any recommendations, as I'm a bit stumped, last time I had this kind of issue was before I discovered trade paint? I'm going to have to do another coat tonight - annoying as I'm going to have to get another 5l of paint so I may as well do another complete coat (I have about 2l of the same colour in Diamond Matt but I wouldn't want to try and blend that in with the vinyl matt unless I use it all up to do a complete coat). While I'm at it I was going to ditch the Hamilton sleeve and replace with a Pro-Dooz.

Sponsored Links
Did the ceiling get a wash (or would a wash have been required)?

For a colour change (it was magnolia / 15 years old) to white it will take 3 full coats.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but I'd have mostly obliterated your blue with 2 coats of a trade white matt and then gone with 2 coats of the finish colour. It works out cheaper, since an colour matt tends to be +50% to a straight white.

If you think the patching is a contamination issue such as oil in air from kitchen, from smoking or from a solid fuel fire I'd invest in a few cans of cover stain spray and cover the patches and then go with another two coats.

Just thought I'd post an update...

So I went and bought another 5 litres of the paint and a Wooster pro doo-z sleeve and it's all sorted now. It may just be coat number 4 was all it needed or that I had a duff tin previously but I'd say the difference between the Hamilton sleeve and the Wooster was like night and day - the Wooster was so much better, both in terms of finish and paint delivery.

Chud, where did you buy the roller sleeve from if you don't mind me asking please? I have some decorating to do this weekend, and likewise, have recently been less than impressed with the Hamilton sleeves!

Sponsored Links
Chud, where did you buy the roller sleeve from if you don't mind me asking please? I have some decorating to do this weekend, and likewise, have recently been less than impressed with the Hamilton sleeves!
I got it from Brewers but you can get a pack of 3 from online places for about £10. I highly recommend the Wooster silvertip brushes - they sell those in screwfix.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back