DVLA survey on number plate system - fit for pupose?

Sponsored Links
They could start by inventing a decent adhesive (or perhaps even a small cylinder of metal with a helical thread running around its long axis - there's an idea :rolleyes: ) to actually hold the damn thing on the front of a lot of vehicles nowadays. There must clearly be some sort of adhesion issue, given the number of motorists who "have" to put their front number plate on their dashboard now.......

Considering how the Police, DLVA, Councils, Parking fine issuing wombles and every ANPR /Speed / Congestion charging camera in existance relies on the numberplates being correct you'd think they'd be a lot more regs about how they are attached to the car to make sure they dont fall off.

True story - a colleague of my dad's was test driving a vehicle in Liverpool when he was stopped by an irate copper for having trade plates on - on the outside. The copper told him to put them inside the car as the local scallys would nick them off the outside when he was stopped in a queue.

or perhaps even a small cylinder of metal with a helical thread running around its long axis
You should patent that quick and get down to Dragons Den!

Edit - I had the plates nicked off my car once and the local Police couldn't care less when I reported them gone. They at least logged a call when someone knocked in a window and took the tax disc at another time, but it never went on any sort of national system as a few weeks later two goons from my local nick showed up on my doorstep at 6am when my stolen disc showed up in a miscreant's house they were searching.

Not sure what this thread is about, other than something to do with number plates.

I do like the idea of a cylinder with a helical thread. You could have the option of a right-hand thread or a left-hand thread. I think the majority would go with right-hand, but I suspect that a vociferous minority would insist on the left-hand option.

Sponsored Links
Well, I'm left handed and Mrs Secure says I'm awkward, so, on that basis, I'll go for the LHT.

The system of buying replacement number plates is "fit for purpose". I replaced my rear number plate last year (after it was picked up on the MOT test as only just legal, Water had got in between the backing and the plastic at the front , degrading the ability to read it. Had to take my registration documents and driving licence into the motor factors, before they'd make a replacement one. At least I know only I can buy replacement number plates for the car that I own. ;) ;)

The system of buying replacement number plates is "fit for purpose". I replaced my rear number plate last year (after it was picked up on the MOT test as only just legal, Water had got in between the backing and the plastic at the front , degrading the ability to read it. Had to take my registration documents and driving licence into the motor factors, before they'd make a replacement one. At least I know only I can buy replacement number plates for the car that I own. ;) ;)
I suspect, I don't know 'cos I haven't looked into it, that it's about someone who owns a beat up old crock, can buy number plates and use them on another car of the same model.
Whether the thieves intentionally buy write-offs, etc and use the numbers on a stolen car, I don't know.
But that is what I suspect it is about.

At least I know only I can buy replacement number plates for the car that I own.
Can anyone not still buy:
acrylic, reflective backing and letters and numbers at any motor store and make your own?

Or are criminals too thick they have to steal them?

[ I suspect, I don't know 'cos I haven't looked into it, that it's about someone who owns a beat up old crock, can buy number plates and use them on another car of the same model.
Why would someone do that ? Could it be that a car regd. in `73 would have to pay road tax and the same one regd. in `68 would not . So the `73 one becomes the older one . Would a classic car owner be so devious ;)

[ I suspect, I don't know 'cos I haven't looked into it, that it's about someone who owns a beat up old crock, can buy number plates and use them on another car of the same model.
Why would someone do that ? Could it be that a car regd. in `73 would have to pay road tax and the same one regd. in `68 would not . So the `73 one becomes the older one . Would a classic car owner be so devious ;)
No, I was thinking more along the lines of the plates from a clapped out or damaged car being used on a much newer car, of the same model. I don't know the official term for that kind of car criminality.
The kind where you buy a car, it appears legit but later you find that the plates and chassis numbers don't match and you lose your car, 'cos it goes back to the oiginal owner from whom it was stolen.

At least I know only I can buy replacement number plates for the car that I own.
Can anyone not still buy:
acrylic, reflective backing and letters and numbers at any motor store and make your own?

Or are criminals too thick they have to steal them?

I was in my local parts place a few years back when someone came in to buy the sticky numbers to make a plate for his MX5 and the guy behind the counter said they didnt sell them anymore as they were illegal - a quick google shows they arent, so I assume he meant they couldnt sell them because people could use them to make false plates. However during the googling I found a couple of sites that sell 'Show plates' online - so they arent BS marked and properly legal but theres little to stop you ordering a plate with a false number.

only people who'd know would be the plod being nosy or an MOT tester being picky.
Really the idea

I found a couple of sites that sell 'Show plates' online - so they arent BS marked and properly legal

AFAIK the legal requirement is that plates are made from retro reflective material, in the correct font & spacing, and with the BS number and the postcode of where they were made. You can buy show plates with all these requirements, so I don't see any way plod could tell if they were bought from an official authorised outlet or a well known internet auction site.

I can see that the govt are trying to clamp down on "ringing", but let's face it...the criminals will have their own supply, it's only Joe Public who's going to have to pay high street prices cos he doesn't want to send his V5 away in the post to a supplier. Joe Criminal will find a way.

• Thanks
Reactions: JBR
Sponsored Links
Back