Earth bonding in bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Okay bonded all the copper pipes in my bathroom and the other side. As the pipes feeding the shower are right next to my central heating pipes (retro fitted to 1930's house) so I decided to bond them too.

From what I can see none exists in my entire house apart from the mains of which the earth bonding goes into the wall don't know where it goes after that? or is that it?

Copper pipe feeds in through the bathroom under the floor boards hot and cold.

From what I can see I can either bond the pipes to a ring main in the hall outside the bathroom or go up into the attic to the lighting earth, which is preferred?

I know a current will take the shortest route to ground does this come into play?

Sponsored Links
The point of supplementary bonding in a bathroom is not to earth the pipework, but to make sure it's all at the same potential in the event of a fault. You should also run your 4mm bonding conductor to the earth of any and all circuits entering the bathroom, which will usually mean lighting and possibly an electric shower.

You should also have 10mm PEBs from your main incoming water and gas, within 600mm of entering the property and before any joints or tees, which should run back to your Main Earth Terminal. This may be an exposed metal connection block, or the earth bar inside your Consumer Unit.

I'm assuming here that supplementary bonding is required in your bathroom, as there are some circumstances under the 17th Ed. of BS7671 where it is no longer needed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back