earth bonding to gas meter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
is it allowable to earth a gas meter to earth, using a earthing rod as there is no earthing on it at the moment & the meter is on the floor in the basement & the consumer unit is on the second floor, also there fitted carpets through the house ! any thoughts.

Sponsored Links
Run the earth cable outside the house in black plastic conduit.

Secure - I assume you mean run the cable outside in conduit and then back in to the MET, not outside to a rod?

Also, with such a long distance, would you advise 16mm²?

Sponsored Links
I never uprate the bonding size with length - its for current not volts really. NIC was happy with a 40m run of 25mm on an 800amp TN-s system.

Incidently, extraneous metal parts can be used as a CONDUCTOR under certain conditions. NOT NOT NOT for a diyer to decide though.

A gas bond can deffinantly NOT NOT NOT be earthed to a rod.

Is the water main nearer to the gas meter?? If this is bonded to the correct size at present, you can pick up from there. BUT you must keep the cable continuous by crimping. See drawing.....

earthing.jpg

Ban

Yes, to the MET, not to a rod.

Personally I wouldn't use 16mm2, but there's no harm. Some recommend 16mm2 if supply is PME....

securespark said:
Personally I wouldn't use 16mm2, but there's no harm.
It would be fun to loop round the screws of an earth clamp....

Talking of which, wouldn't it be great if you could buy ones that had a tag which actually said:

WARNING
blah blan blah

:LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back