Earth to gas supply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm told that I need an earth connection installed to my gas; can I just connect earth cable between gas pipe and cold water pipe? Or .. do I need to install new cable from my side of meter to electric box earth?

Sponsored Links
Ask on the electrics forum about PME - this forum`s full of RGI`s with PMT :mrgreen:

Your incoming gas supply pipe must be bonded to your main earth terminal. This will either be an exposed connector block near your main fuse, or the earth bar in your consumer unit.
Just connecting the gas pipe to a water pipe is not good enough.

10mm² green/yellow cable will cover domestic situations.

Also check that your water supply is bonded in a like manner.

The reason for this bonding is to ensure that there are no potentailly dangerous voltage differences in your house between the service pipes (gas and water) and the your house's earth.

Without it, there is danger of electric shock.

Your incoming gas supply pipe must be bonded to your main earth terminal.

:eek: :eek: Where on earth (no pun intended) did you get this
kind of information.

The incoming gas supply is not required to be cross bonded.

Cross bonding should be after the meter on the installation
pipework.

Sponsored Links
For the avoidance of doubt, the main bonding connection to the gas pipe should be made on the customer's side of the meter as close as practical to where the pipe enters the house and before any T's

Sorry if you took the post to mean the gas supply pipe before the meter - that wasn't intentional.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back