Earthing gas main in a flat.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI all

i have finally managed to run a 10mm green black cable from the gas meter to the main CU in the flat. Now need to make the connections.

1. One the CU side, I cannot find anything that says MET. Instead I have a box which says PME (see attached image ). Is this where the earth cable goes into?

Also if it looks like the PME cannot take any more earth cables considering the 10 mm thick wire coming in. Is there a solution/option?

2. On the gas meter side, I have a earth clamp (2inch) to connect the earth wire. Want to understand if the earth wire should be clamped after the meter(my side ) or before the meter ( supplier side).

kindly assist. i am a novice at this but want to get this sorted before the gas safety guys come in for certification. They had said its not mandatory , but good to do if possible.

thanks for reading.

with regards
Tushar

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Great. Thanks for the guidance.

Is MET required only if I cannot squeeze another green yellow copper cable in the PME connector? or its a requirement/regulation by itself to have a MET ? (The wiring in the picture is 30 years old, so I am assuming lot of regs have changed)

with regards
Tushar

'Properly fit' rather than 'squeeze'.

The earth connector block is only required for practical purposes.

A MET (Main Earthing Terminal) is always present and is whatever you use for it -

It could be the earth bar in the consumer unit.

What is that object leaning against the red meter tail. It looks like a nail that might find its way into any gap around the tail.

And who used all green cable for the earths ? Was it really an electrician who wired this up ?.

Well spotted. Its was a nail that has been living there for the last god know how many years.. Its been relieved of its duty now..

The green cables are 30-40 years old. Any chances that older regs allowed such things?

Yep, earth wires used to be green only many many moons ago!!
You usually only have one earthing conductor going to the service head which connects to a metal block which we use as a MET. To this the main bonding and CPCs connect.
I won't advise you to play about with this, better to get someone in who knows what they are doing.

Is that a solid link fuse carrier seeing as it's red?
Edit:- it looks like it's been coloured in but is scratching white

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back