earthing light onto ceiling rose

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all

i have had a house refurb and a total rewire.

i added a chandelier and light upstairs myself and i am anxious whether i have done it correctly.

the wiring follows this diagram linked below, except it doesn't show what to do if the LIGHT fixture requires earth.
http://www.flameport.com/electric/lighting_circuits/lighting_ceiling_rose.cs4

i have taken the earth from the fixture and put it into the earth on the rose. (so there are four earth wires going into the same hole)

is this correct?

also the chandelier requires 2 earths (so there are five wires going into the earth hole on this fitting)

is this correct?

cheers

Sponsored Links
Metal light fittings usually require an earth so you have acted correctly.

But, what do the manufacturers instructions say?

thanks - they say "Must be earthed"

my main question though is. 'is it correct to add all earth wires into the same socket?"

All the earths go to the same earth - at the end of the day.

What isn't clear from your description is whether you are still using a ceiling rose with the loop or end of line wiring or are you using some form of connection block and creating your own loop system.

The reason I raise this is because putting all the earths together in a 'socket' ( I assume you don't mean that) is fine providing that the earth block is actually connected back to the main earth terminal and DNO's star point.

Sponsored Links
If there's only one earth terminal, that's the only place they can go!

If you are really stuck for space under the terminal, I would consider connecting the earth wires from the light fitting together in a seperate piece of choc bloc connector, and running a single wire from that to the earth terminal.

ah. thanks.

i seem to have done the right thing then. it was all professionally re-wired and i just followed what was there but needed to add the earth in, so everythings cool

cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back