Earthing pipes in bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello
does my upstairs bathroom toilet copper overflow pipe need to be earthed?
the cistern is 1970/80s plastic.

my toilet overflow pipe, and the toilet inlet pipe are both copper.
as seen in the photo, an earth cable is attached from the overflow pipe to the inlet pipe.
[not in the photo] and then another earth cable is attached from the inlet pipe to the radiator

can i remove the ugly looking earth cable connecting the overflow pipe to the inlet pipe?
does that overflow pipe need to be earthed?
overflow pipe text.jpg

Sponsored Links
Does your fusebox / consumer unit have an RCD which covers all of the circuits?
Post a picture of it and the equipment nearby if unsure.

can i remove the ugly looking earth cable connecting the overflow pipe to the inlet pipe?
]
I'd remove the whole overflow pipe that's been pulled over to the cistern and bodged in when that placcy cistern replaced the original ceramic one - fit a flush valve kit that uses the handle hole for a push button . And has internal overflow, showing in the pan when it overflows- and put a stopper in the old overflow hole.(y) And turn those supporting brackets up the other way.

Sponsored Links
No I very much doubt it needs bonding. I presume it just goes outside and not into some cast iron soil stack or anything?
You can find out by disconnecting the bonding edit: after turning the power off! and checking the resistance to the main earth terminal. If it's high, I forget but it's over tens of kilohms, then it's the proverbial metal spoon and bonding it actually increases the risk slightly. The idea is to limit any fault currents that might pass through you to earth to a low enough value to avoid harm.
As others have mentioned, if you have RCD protection on all circuits then you needn't have any bonding in the bathroom as the RCD will limit the current instead.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back