Earthing question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - I have a double plug socket in the attic which is missing an earth. Currently it is used to power a TV amplifier.

I would like to power a TV in the bedroom from the second socket. Although the appliance doesn't require an earth I think it would be wise to at least earth the double socket. Is it possible to take an earth from the central heating pipes or does it have to come from another plug socket?

Sponsored Links
Are you quite sure the socket doesn't have a earth? How exactly have you checked? Is the earth conductor present but not connected, or is it completely absent?

A 240v ring or radial circuit must have a protective conductor connected to the main earthing terminal at the consumer unit. You must never ever hope to get an earth from the central heating (or any other) pipes.

Perhaps this is a spur from a circuit connected with an old piece of twin-core cable without a cpc. If so, at least that part of the wiring needs replacing. But it may point to other bad practice being used in your wiring.

I have opened the socket and the earth has been cut off as you can just seek it poking through the wire.

This is a spur socket, and I am guessing the reason the earth was removed is the amp didn't need one??

I will following the wire back to see where it is joined from. Perhpas there is an earth the other end, and simply decided not to connect it?

If the cut-off cpc is properly connected at the other end, you may be able to extend it at the socket with a short length of conductor and connect it to the outlet.

But you should test it, or get it tested.

Cutting off the earth because a particular appliance doesn't need one is extremely wrong-headed, and should make you question whether the rest of the installation is sound.

Sponsored Links
a loft supply for a TV amplifier is often taken from a lighting circuit. You can detect this by turning off the lighting MCB/taking the fuse out and seeing if the socket goes dead.

Lighting circuits installed before about 1970 often do not have earths :(

Thanks for the info I will try it tonight.

Looks like I will have to run a spur from an existing plug socket, which I was hoping I didn't have to do.

Lighting circuits installed before about 1970 often do not have earths
You're quite right, John. I had come across this, and forgotten it.

It that's the explanation, I take back my more alarmist comments.

I wouldn't take an earth from the central heating pipes either, you don't want to end up with radiators that are more painful to touch than normal, do you?

You cannot take an earth from a central heating pipe.

ALL socket outlets must be earthed regardless of what may or may not be plugged into it at any given time.

Whoever snipped the earth in the actual socket is an idiot and a dangerous one at that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back