easiest way to strip wallpaper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have a stairs, landing and master bedroom we need to strip. I think its just one layer of paper but quite a large area. We have a simple steamer with a wallpaper stripper attachment that's worked fairly well in the past.

What's the best way to do this? Just use the steamer? Or are any of the stripping solutions any good?

Need to do the job quickly. Walls will be skimmed afterwards ready for paint.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Need to do the job quickly. Walls will be skimmed afterwards ready for paint.

Cheers
Prob the quickest way is to get off the internet and get on with it! If the steamer you have works well, then use your steamer. No easy, quick fix solution, just get going.

Sponsored Links
There is something to be said for the following method:

1. Wet walls totally with big sponge and warm water.

2. Go and have a cup of tea and wait 10 mins.

3. Repeat 1 and 2.

4. Try to scrape paper off with scraper. It should fall easily,off often in large pieces.

5. If it offers any resistance, repeat 1 and 2.

This can be quicker than using a steam stripper and it doesn't risk damaging the plaster. You will however need a steam job when ridding the wall of woodchip.

easiest way to strip wallpaper

Garden sprayer; warm water, a drop of washing up liquid.

Mist it lightly. By the time you've done it all round, it's time to do it again.

After the third spray, it will probably have soaked in. Try your wide metal scraper. Start at the top so that next time you spray, the water can run down behind the paper. Keep misting it so it doesn't dry.

Cheers. I will give the good soak method a try first. The steamer worked well when I stripped the kitchen but it was a bit messy (and steamy!).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back