Easy Fit SmartPhone Alarm vs SmartHome Alarm

I'm not really talking about targeted attack here. I am talking about mass port scan across UK ISP's to determine standard open ports, then a one packet transaction to determine the system at the other end and the en mass capturing of remote images for publishing on the internet.

People often think that writing this kind of attack is difficult, but your average computer literate teenager can achieve this nowadays. It's pretty easy to scan thousands of ISP IP addresses each second.

I certainly wouldn't want images of my family exposed on the internet targeted or not! External to the home is less of a risk, but internal is much more private and higher risk.

Sponsored Links
Wow thats a bit of a worry.........

It just strengthens the case NOT to have cameras with remote viewing....

An alarm has one purpose and CCTV has another....the two should be kept seperate - IMO.

Matt

Wow thats a bit of a worry.........
Sure is ..... Made worse by sales staff and marketing people who hype up all the advantages but totally ignores the serious dis-advantages and hazards in case they lose the sale and the commission that goes with it.

Sponsored Links
is there a suggestion that Easy Fit SmartPhone Alarm or SmartHome Alarm use Internet Protocols for their wireless connection, or is that just an off-topic scare story?

Hi John, the Yale alarms are no more vunerable than any other internet based device....

The OP is basically saying that anything product with internet connectivity is vunerable to be hacked...BUT its the same for any device.....

Personally I would not be concered......and its certainly not a Yale issue!

Matt

Chaps I think we are going a little off topic......The OP was asking about Yale alarms not internet security.....He's probably well "hacked" off and not fitting an alarm anymore :p

All internet connected devices wired/wireless can be hacked into regardless.....just look at the 15 yearold British kid who hacked into the CIA system!

We should all be aware of the risks and benifits that the internet offers and as such the benifits far outweigh any negatives!!

Chaps I think we are going a little off topic......The OP was asking about Yale alarms not internet security.....He's probably well "hacked" off and not fitting an alarm anymore :p

All internet connected devices wired/wireless can be hacked into regardless.....just look at the 15 yearold British kid who hacked into the CIA system!

We should all be aware of the risks and benifits that the internet offers and as such the benifits far outweigh any negatives!!

The difference here was that the suggested system has internal camera/sensors connected. Leave out the internal cameras and I'd agree that any hacking is low risk.

Wireless or not is irrelevent..
the relevance is the alarm system (see thread title). If the user installs some cameras attached to the internet, they will be addressable. But the alarm system itself will only be addressable if it works on IP. Hence my earler question.

I'm still here :p and will be fitting alarm this year. By saying that I'm still not sure which one to pick. Please let us know your feedback on smartphone alarm after this weekend's installation.

does it use wireless IP?

I would like to know the answer to that question as well. If it does I could place it anywhere where there is a power socket, if it doesn't that it may not be that easy for me to hide it. I would not be running RJ45 and/or RJ11 upstairs or to the loft.

I'm aware about security of IP connection and agree that hacking is rather low risk. There are things to make it more secure but any system can be hacked. I'm planning to add some PIR cameras but only outside the house. At the moment Foscam cameras and Surveillance Pro app are on my radar. Any other recommendations?

I suppose I see the Galaxy as pretty 'gadgety'.

Any reason why you suggested Galaxy Dimension rather than FLEX? I could not find any advantage in my scenario?

Regards

Hi TLM, we fitted the Yale smartphone alarm and I have to say it is very DIY compared to the Yale Smart Alarm grade 2 system.

The app software is ok BUT I really cannot see the value of this internal camera system....its purely a gimmick!

The Yale Smart alarm is a serious bit of kit by comparasin...the only downside isd the lack of app BUT Ive since been told the LAN connection on this system is ready for when Yale do release the app.

The build quality of smart alarm is far superior and there is some seriously high end electronics inside. The smart alarm is also built in UK where as the smartphone alarm is china...enough said!!

The ENA-Kit2 is absolutely the one to go for IMO...
Rgds
Matt

Hi Matt

Thanks for the info - Yale smartphone is off my wish list then. Did you install any of the Galaxy range? how would you compare it to the Yale Smart Alarm?

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back