Economical (cheap!) drawings for garage to apply for Lawful Development Certificate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

Any recommendations for someone to do scale drawings that the LPA (Coventry) will accept so I can apply for an LDC for a new garage under Permitted Development?

My own architect has quoted £495 which I thought was a bit pricey as he already has most of what he needs as he has done the side and rear extension drawings over the last three months.

I know I could try and draw it myself but I don't want to waste time having to resubmit amendments after I get everything wrong!

Thanks
Steve

Sponsored Links
That price is ridiculous. Just get some squared paper and a rule and have a go yourself.
Beyond that, why not go further and save even more money; what's the point of applying for a LDC if you know it's permitted development?

We want the LDC just in case we sell in a few years time. It's bound to be brought up by any buyers conveyancer and if I just state its PD its will no doubt lead to questions and delays.

Last edited:
An LDC is silly in this instance (although I agree some numpty solicitor's bound to ask for it)

Sponsored Links
Indeed just doing something similar and considered getting an LDC for the same reasons but then woke up and thought just point solicitor to the fact its PD. The EA will provide all the dimensions that prove it so.
But if you must then as Tony says just do it yourself if you can work a tape measure, a ruler and a pencil and work out a scale then it's pretty simple. The drawing requirements are little more than sketches.

If it is PD, perhaps you could maybe prove the date it was built and them print out the pertinent PD regs for the time it was built.

I dont know how solicitors view that though?

The whole point of PD is that you can build with inferred permission without having to get written consent. if the council think you have built outside those rights then it's up to them to enforce.
The solicitors job is to protect his client from the possibility that enforcement might happen after purchase. There are several ways to do this including asking the council if what has been built falls under PD or investigate the law himself to satisfy that.

You only need to draw rectangles (and triangles for gables pitched roof) on a plan showing the boundaries and dimension to the boundary and height of eaves. You don't need detailed plans.

Just had another quote for £400 for the drawings so I am going to have a go at them myself this weekend after all! It doesn't look like any of the builders will be available to start until next spring so I have time to get it right.

My personal preference is to go for the LDC rather than a future argument with a buyers conveyancer and then forking out for pointless indemnities.

Thanks for everybody's input.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back