EDPM roofing questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am going to put EDPM on an almost flat workshop roof, just have a few questions:

- Do you need to use the edging trims? Was planning to use one on the gutter side but can you just use contact adhesive on the other edges?

- For upstand onto a brick wall, do you need to use the wall trim or is it enough to just use contact adhesive to stick 20cm of membrane up the wall?

Cheers

John

Sponsored Links
Flat Roofs need a min of 1:40 falls - they are not flat. Suggest that you strip the roof and do a modern (warm?) roof to falls.
I'm not competent on EPDM materials or its installation. But i notice vids on you tube claiming to show how its done.

Why don't you want to use the edging trim? Will look better than just leaving the rubber on show. Technically on a hot day and if you use bonding adhesive the rubber will stick to the brickwork like Shyte to a blanket but a wall trim of some sort will look neater.

You don't need the edge trims, but you do need a proper edge detail and mechanical fix - not just glue.

For the upstand, yes you could just turn it up the wall glue it. and tuck it into a joint, but it always seems to come unstuck, so an additional flashing overlapping the upstand is a lot better.

Sponsored Links
we fitted an EPDM roof to a workshop with a very slight gradient.
The workshop is attached to a concrete garage on one wall, i.e. bolted below it's roof ...

We overlapped the rubber off the sides and glued it down with the edging strips. got to be 4" or so of overlap there.....
On the end, with the guttering; as the water does just about run off - we used a square section 2x1" batten and then glued the rubber around it before finishing with an edge strip. We needed this to ensure the guttering was underneath the drips.

The contact adhesive, for the edges, is like evostick impact . You do need to follow the instructions and wait for it to be touch dry before doing the edges.

I would say that you don't NEED the edging strips but it did look nicer...

I'd be worried about the imperfections in the brickwork allowing water to seep down the upstand .. I guess lots and lots of sealant and glue ....

Hi All,
Thanks very much for the helpful replies. I was trying to keep costs down as low as possible but no point in leaving out edging if it will prolong the life of the roof and prevent leaks.

Many thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back