Electric boiler - what to buy?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction.

The plumber who was supposed to install my new electric central heating has gone off mid job and taken a long term contract elsewhere. He has fitted 4 of the radiators on the walls as agreed however three are still in plastic without valves and stuff. The boiler he has taken back because he bought the wrong one......

Anyway, I have a new plumber who is going to put the rest of the radiators on the walls with new valves and all the necessary plumbing. However he is a gas fitter not an electric one and I've been tasked to buy the electric boiler which he can run the pipes to leaving me to get the electrician to connect the new boiler.

So, my question is - how do I know what size boiler to buy? There wasn't central heating prior to this so I can't just look at that one for guidance. It isn't for any other purpose than heating the 7 radiators.

Cam anyone help? Thanks so much.

Jean

Sponsored Links
you can get an idea of how much heat your home needs from this calculator
http://calculators.baxiknowhow.co.uk/boiler-sizing/

Although I don't know how electric boilers work. It will be a quite a heavy load. I think unless you get a good answer on here, you should consult the manufacturer or supplier, after estimating the load using the tool. You also need to consult an electrician to see if your supply is adequate, before purchasing. You would do better to consult someone local who is used to electric boilers. The manufacturer may have a list of approved installers.

Presumably you have an all-electric house and can't get a gas or oil boiler.

You will be aware that the cost of energy from electricity is about four times as much as the cost of energy from gas.

Any reason you didn't go with electric rads? Has anyone installed upgraded electric supply? 4-6kw will probably do the job, but it depends on the total requirement of the radiators, the thermal efficiency of your home and how quickly you want it to heat up.

Sponsored Links
Before you connect your boiler to the electric supply you will need to contact your DNO to check your electric supply has adequate capacity. We have checked with them for a number of electric boiler installs, sometimes it's OK, sometimes the DNO had to replace the cutout and one time it was not possible to connect such a large load to the very limited electrical supply. The one with the limited supply, some sort of thermal store with a couple of immersion elements was fitted in the end IIRC.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back