Electric cooker installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all please forgive my lack of knowledge, but my wife has just bought and had delivered a cooker that she thought was all gas but turns out the ovens are electric (see photo)

Our old cooker which was all gas simply plugged in behind the cooker into a 3 pin socket for running the clock and spark ignition thing (see photo)

The new cooker has a cable of approx 10mm (see photo)

and the cable from the socket see photo looks more like 6mm (see photo of socket above)

This 6mm cable runs to a fused switch on the wall (see photo)

that has a 13amp fuse inside.

The consumer unit does not have a fuse/switch solely for the cooker (see photo)

My question is this can i just remove the 3 pin socket and replace with a junction box or is this plain dumb due to different wire thicknesses. Do i need to get an electrician in to rewire?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
What is the kW rating of the oven? There should be a plate on the back that says. You need the total rating.

With your 10mm/6mm measurements, is that just across the width of the grey sheath?

Because neither of those cables are 10mm² or 6mm², looks more like 4mm² and 2.5mm²

It is unlikely you can adapt what you have to work, but that is dependant on your kW rating for the oven(s)

It says 10.9KW on the back and 7.6KW and yes measurment/guess is across the grey sheath

sticker on back

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
It says 10.9KW on the back and 7.6KW and yes measurment/guess is across the grey sheath

sticker on back

The 10.9kW refers to the gas part. Oven is 7.6kW which is more than double what the circuit you have will take. So you will need a new dedicated circuit.

Is it too late to change it for an all gas one you wanted? You'd save the cost of a new circuit and the running cost of a gas oven is around a third of the cost of an electric one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back