Electric Cooker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 30 amp Cooker circuit which is finished with a single plug and cooker switch.

What I want to know is that I have a gas cooker that needs power for its timer and have no plug sockets around except the electric cooker cable connect box.

1: Can I change the electric cooker cable connect box to a single plug for this?

2: Can I also spur off the cooker switch to another single plug to power a small fridge as at present its plugged in the cooker 13 amp plug socket which means the plug and wire are on show?

I know this will not be an issue on current required but not sure on regulations etc.

Sponsored Links
1: no problem
2: yes but you should use 6mm cable which might be a bit of a pain to get in

Sponsored Links
you can spur off that to another socket but you have to use 6mm cable and it would probabblly be quite a tight fit

fiting one of those double adaptor sockets in place of the cooker outlet plate would let you plug in both your gas cooker and your fridge below the worktop without any nasty cable chasing at all

Would just replace the cooker switch but I want the cables/plugs hidden under the worktop rather than on the kitchen wall.

exactly which i why i suggested putting that adaptor socket in place of the cooker outlet plate (what you refered to as the cooker connect box)

plugwash said:
fiting one of those double adaptor sockets in place of the cooker outlet plate would let you plug in both your gas cooker and your fridge below the worktop without any nasty cable chasing at all
Is it OK for the means of isolation for the fridge to be labelled "cooker"?

plugwash said:
exactly which i why i suggested putting that adaptor socket in place of the cooker outlet plate (what you refered to as the cooker connect box)
And this way you still have the socket on the CCU free for a kettle, toaster, blender etc.

well yeah probablly a good idea to label it as cooker and fridge on the cooker control unit

With you plugwash

Good idea to replace the cable connect box with a single to double socket conversion. I have one spare so will do the work this weekend.

Thanks to all

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back