Electric Cooker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to install a new cooker. It has a total load of 15.6 KW
What size cable should i run from the CU and What size fuse should i use?

Sponsored Links
15.6kW. Big Cooker!

15600watts / 230volts = 67.83amps.

Diversity says, we only need to count 10A, and 30% of the remainder and add 5A if the cooker control unit has a socket outlet.

30% of 57.83amps = 17.349amps
10+17.349+5 = 32.349amps.

I don't recommend relying on diversity, escpecialy with such a big load.

I would use a 45amp MCB/fuse, and taking 10mm2 cable to your cooker control unit, and from there 10mm2 to a cooker outlet plate. The voltage drop isn't a problem with 10mm2 cable.

If your not 100% confident, and sure on what to do, it may be a better idea to call an electrician.

Sponsored Links
A 6mm2 cable protected by a 32amp MCB, would just make it.

But, it's not recommended at all.

Think about it, making christmas dinner, just about to turn another ring on, and then it trips.

Use the 10mm2 cable, or even 16mm2.

:D

If your going to use 16mm2, you can use a 63amp MCB, but make sure your accessories can support that size of cable.

If your using 10mm2 (recommend), install a 45amp MCB.

Please correct me if I am wrong!

A 6mm T+E carries 46A if clipped direct, Vd =7.3 mV/M and max.ELZ is 0.86 for a type B MCB (80% of REGS)
max Vd is 4% of 240V= 9.6V)
max length is
9.6V * 1000
________ =29M

7.3mV * 45A

R1 + R2 of a 6mm +2.5 cpc = 10.49m/ohms/M
10.49 * 29M = .304 Ohms
Since max. ELZ allowed is 0.86,
this allows fo a Ze of up to 0.86 - 0.304 = .556ohms

So providing Ze is less than .55 and the max. length of run is less than 29M ( assumming no grouping and running cable in thermally insullated wall a 6mm cable could support a 45 circuit).

Interestingly, the Site Guide states that when calculating conductor size for cookers, a 32A circuit is usually appropriate for a household cookers up to 15KW.
However! As you correctly state ryanj, applying diversity to a 15.6 KW cooker takes it over our 32A so it would be most advisable to go to the 45A circuit and also to the 10mm cable, as we don't know the Ze or installation conditions
regards
magicman

Not that it makes much difference to the answers, but it's a shame you went to all that trouble based on the wrong supply voltage...

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Not that it makes much difference to the answers, but it's a shame you went to all that trouble based on the wrong supply voltage...

Ha ha ha that's a winner B-A-S

I was getting quite confused and thought where is this leading to!!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back