electric fan heater into my bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to install a 1 or 2Kw electric fan heater into my bathroom which is through the wall of the cupboard where the hot water tank is.

Would I be able to connect the fan heater cable (Live and neutral) to the Feed/mains part of the double pole switch?

My thoughts are, the double pole switch would not need to be switched on in order for the fan heater to work as it would be connected directly to the mains part of the switch and not the LOAD(where the immersion heater is connected). The double pole switch would have to be on in order for immersion heater to operate (as before).

This would essentially adding a parallel circuit allowing both the immersion heater and the fan heater to operate at the correct 230V.

Feasible?

Sponsored Links
I would like to install a 1 or 2Kw electric fan heater into my bathroom which is through the wall of the cupboard where the hot water tank is.

Would I be able to connect the fan heater cable (Live and neutral) to the Feed/mains part of the double pole switch?

My thoughts are, the double pole switch would not need to be switched on in order for the fan heater to work as it would be connected directly to the mains part of the switch and not the LOAD(where the immersion heater is connected). The double pole switch would have to be on in order for immersion heater to operate (as before).

This would essentially adding a parallel circuit allowing both the immersion heater and the fan heater to operate at the correct 230V.

Feasible?
Possibly.
It is likely that your immersion heater is drawing around 3kw when energised. Add this to your proposed 2kw fan heater gives you potentially 5kw - around 21A.
Your immersion heater circuit is probably wired in 2.5mm² T&E which is okay but your MCB is probably rated at 16A.
Increasing the MCB to 20A would be feasible but you will still be under the potential 21A.
Increasing the MCB to 25A would be feasible but you will start to get close to the current carrying capacity of the cable.
You could raise the MCB to 20A and use a 1kw fire - just make sure that you follow the manufacturers instructions which will probably stipulate that you must put the fire on a fused connection unit rated at 13A.

I like the idea of increasing the 16A 'thingy' to a 20A or 25A.

It's the red number one 'thingy', the one that reads "immerser". It says B16 on it. I presume that means it is 16A. Also the red writing below says "circuits not protected by RCD", whatever that means.

How would I replace the B16 with a B20 or B25?

Also the red writing below says "circuits not protected by RCD", whatever that means.
No RCD - easily solved by fitting one of these:
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/d190/sd2470/p45636
in the cupboard and connecting the heater to it.

How would I replace the B16 with a B20 or B25?
By switching off, removing the cover, removing the wiring from the B16, unscrewing it, unclipping it from the busbar, and reverse that process to fit the new one.
However note that the main incoming wires for the consumer unit will still be live even with the main switch off, and that particular brand of CU is no longer made, so may be difficult to find parts for it.

Unless it is likely the immersion and new heater will be used for extended periods at the same time, leave it as it is.

Sponsored Links
I would advise you to have the fan heater fitted by an electrician. :D

regards,

KA

Fan heater instructions will probably require the use of 13A fused connection unit.

As some of your circuits are not RCD protected you may have to upgrade equipotential bonding in the bathroom to comply with current regulations.

If the immersion heater is only used for back-up i.e. you have a boiler for the heating and hot water, then you could fit a changeover switch so that the fan heater and the immersion can't be used simultaneously.

I like the idea of leaving the CU unit alone and installing a changeover switch.
:confused:

Your grasp of terms does not engender confidence that you know enough to be doing this work, and simply following instructions on how to do it without actually understanding why is a bad idea.

Please get an electrician.

Thanks,

Ok,

just to clarify, do I need to fit an RCD or 13A fuse?

Or can I just connect the electric heater to the double pole switch?

In bathroom fit an RCD or RCBO in consumer unit.
FCU or local isolator should be outside of bathroom.
Fan Heater must not be fitted in zone 1

Also the red writing below says "circuits not protected by RCD", whatever that means.
Your grasp of terms does not engender confidence that you know enough to be doing this work, and simply following instructions on how to do it without actually understanding why is a bad idea.

Please get an electrician.

do I need to fit an RCD or 13A fuse?
Those are not either/or - they do different things. Please get an electrician.

No one knows answer to above question?
Something you didn't like about this one:
No RCD - easily solved by fitting one of these:
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/d190/sd2470/p45636
in the cupboard and connecting the heater to it.

:?:

thanks, learning with every post here.
Yes, but in a very haphazard and unstructured way. What you're learning are the answers to the random questions which you ask, but you're only asking about things you think you need to ask about.

What if you don't ask about something, not because you know it but because you have no idea it even exists? You've already shown that you have some very dodgy misconceptions, and that you don't have the basic knowledge of what different types of protective device do, and when and where they are required.

Please get an electrician, and use the time saved to start doing some learning.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back