electric fan heater switching off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi ppl,
Before I start, I just want to say how helpful of a community this forum is. Seen really helpful comments and replies to what may be called trivial questions (my trivial questions).

Anyway. I have a fan heater, at least 4 years old. Has been working well until recently, where it would just switch off by itself after 2 minutes of functioning. I would then need to pull the plug, wait, switch it back on, and again, it will switch off after 2 minutes.

I have a feeling it's due to the accumulated webs and dusts in the heater. Do you think it will go away if I clean it out? Is it safe? The heater is screwed shut by a few tri-wings screw. Any ideas? thanks!

Sponsored Links
could be shutting down on overheat.

try giving it a good clean, blast with the old vaccum etc.

may also be its air intake blocked, but the vacuum cleaner idea is 1st choice, but mke sure it gets everywhere

i've tried using the vacuum cleaner (strong dyson!), and it used to provide maybe 2 weeks relieve. But the last time i tried, it didn't do much anymore...

Sponsored Links
Does the fan spin freely by hand,

Does it appear to slow down before it cuts out.

If the motor is seizing and slow, this will cause overheat and the cut out to operate.

Is it possible to safely lubricate the spindle

Does the fan spin freely by hand,

Does it appear to slow down before it cuts out.

If the motor is seizing and slow, this will cause overheat and the cut out to operate.

Is it possible to safely lubricate the spindle

I was just wondering -OP says there's a a lot of crud in it- whether there may be some hair or wotnot wrapped round the spindle.

thanks for the suggestions.

I don't think there are hair in the fan heater. Just a lot of dusts. I've tried vacuuming it again, as any physical intervention is not possible without the screwdriver.

The fan also didn't seem to slow down prior to switching off.

I guess the next step is finding a store that sells that tri-wing screwdriver?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back