Electric Horizontal Hot Water Cylinder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am investigating options for my mother who is refurbing an old outhouse - the scenario is that there is limited space for a cylinder for hot water and we think that a horizontal tank would work best. This is becoming in a 1-up, 2-down 2-bed 'cottage'.

Any recommendations for a cylinder?

Many thanks.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
A lot of googling is leaving me to believe that there are no good options.

Is relying on the 3kw immersion as the only hot water source sufficient/sensible? (heating is by electric underloor).

Trying to help find a practicle solution for my mothers project before it is too late.

Many thanks, Rich

Sponsored Links
Got my mother to test the electric underfloor and (surprise) it's not working. So may also be looking for a (retrofit) heating solution too!

[For planning reasons cottage was built in 2 phases, a 1-up, 1-down, then addition of a smaller 1-up-1-down extension - first builder was a cowboy]

Is a 9kw Heatrae Sadia Multipoint White Instantaneous Water Heater sufficient for a shower / running a bath?

Maybe an oil combi boiler situated outside.? Presumably there is no mains gas, hence the electric heating.

If the cottage might have a multifuel stove, a cylinder upstairs can be warmed by some.

I once had a gasless cottage where the cylinder was heated by electric immersion, or by the multifuel in winter.

It's a cheery way to heat a small building. It might also be able to heat an upstairs radiator (mine worked on gravity only, so no pump required). Can burn wood, solid fuel, and various household waste including kitchen scraps. Useful if your bin collection is from the end of the lane. The cylinder also potentially gives you an airing cupboard. Modern insulation will keep it hot all day, or until used.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back