Electric meter creeping round with everything off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just discovered my electric meter (old analogue type with a whirly disc) creeps round with the main switch on my CU turned off. It's moving about one or two degrees per second, so not very much, but is it worth getting it looked at or is this normal please? TIA

Sponsored Links
Does it eventually stop or have you not had the power off long enough to check? It shouldn't be metering its own usage. Have you checked to see if there is any usage via way of clamp meter or something like that? (even though the main switch is off but you never know)

Watched it for a good couple of minutes and it just kept going. I don't have a clamp meter but might be worth investing in one...time I upgraded my old multimeter anyway. There is a suppliers' remote isolation switch on there, does that draw power constantly?

Sponsored Links
Might be a listening device FBI/MI5 fitted so that they can keep monitoring you even when your power is switched off!:)

If you have 6 CUs then there's every chance there's something fed from a permanent supply, doorbell transformer perhaps or a telephone master device?

Next door tapped into your supply?
You should really have a master switch for your own use, so you can isolate everything in one go.

My meter says 240 revs/kWh. So 2-3 degrees per second would be about 100W I think. You should be able to find that!

a photo of the incomer/meter/switch could be handy. Should be able to see if there's anything obviously not right.

Could well be a faulty meter.

You'll need to start at the meter, and using the clamp meter, see if you can check the feed route.

A switch does not draw any power.
What happens when you turn that off??
I can't, it's a suppliers' radio teleswitch, hence wondering whether it might be drawing power. Pics below. Sort for the slow reply everyone - had to go away for a few days...

20170217_085551_zps28ramzwu.jpg

20170217_085702_zpsdtpfzpzt.jpg

If you have 6 CUs then there's every chance there's something fed from a permanent supply, doorbell transformer perhaps or a telephone master device?
Doorbell is a battery job so it's not that. We don't have a landline phone. All a bit of a mystery. Can it be tested? We requested a new meter when we moved in but our supplier said that they didn't change meters

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back