Electric Meter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an Annexe in the rear of my garden which has integrated utilities with the main house. I would like to separate such that the 2 properties are independent of each other. I.e receive 2 electricity bills (I would like to rent the 2 properties separately and having separate bills seems to be my only option?)

I understand the electricity board are required to fit a cable and a meter to the Annexe and that I'm responsible for digging a trench. Does anyone have an idea how much this might cost (£100's / £1000's) and any advice / tips would be gratefully received. Many thanks in advance - Carl

Sponsored Links
You need to ask your supplier. DNO, not necessarily the people you buy your electricity from.

It won't be cheap.

But AFAIK you can meter the properties yourself and charge the tenants separately.

Sponsored Links
Does anyone have an idea how much this might cost

Between £1500.00 and £2500.00 depending on how for they will need to run the new cable, if they have to cross a road, mole under a concrete path/drive.

You need to contact your DNO for your area in the first instant and they will provide a quote to do the work. This will be to lay a new cable and fit a servise head. You can dig the trench but best to get there advise on where to dig, how deep, are there any other servises where you are going to dig, does it need to be in a duct, warning tape ect.

Once the servise head is in,

decide who you will buy your electric from and they will give you a quote for a new meter install. They will appoint a meter operator who will come and fit a meter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back