electric meter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
want to get this meter moved to out side, and have been quoted around £750 plus boxes etc. seams a bit much for a halfhour job. do i have to get the LEB to do it, or can i get somone else to do it? im a competent electrian but would not attempt doing this myself. blus i havnt bothered doing nay of the exams :rolleyes: lol.

any ideas?

thanks

Mem

Sponsored Links
only the DNO can touch it. and its usually expensive because they have to do it live

750 seams a bit ott tbh thou? cos i have to do all the wiring etc myself get it all certified and all they do is disconect 2 wires n reconect them lol.

Not sure on prices but when I had a new meter fitted in my old house they had to have 2 people there. Only one bloke working live and the other there watching. He had to be there for saftey ready to smack his mate with a plank of wood if he electricuted himself. It could be that they have to pay for 2 people rather than the one!

Sponsored Links
Memster said:
750 seams a bit ott tbh thou? cos i have to do all the wiring etc myself get it all certified and all they do is disconect 2 wires n reconect them lol.

try tellin us all the info first. then you might get the reply you want.

i have.... in my first post. want the meter moved...

was just wondering if anyone but the LEB could do it. which it appers not.

Memster said:
i have.... in my first post. want the meter moved...

was just wondering if anyone but the LEB could do it. which it appers not.

in your first post you said the leccy board was moving it. then you said in a different post you had to do the work/test and they would connect it. big difference.

yeah u have to do all the wiring, and get it certificated, then the leccyboard conenct it up.. i never actually said that the leccy board was moving it :)

Memster said:
yeah u have to do all the wiring, and get it certificated, then the leccyboard conenct it up.. i never actually said that the leccy board was moving it :)

you didnt say they wernt moving it.

true :p but thats a techincality, cos im thinking about getting it moved. and i wouldnt be posting on here about it if i was getting them to move it now would i :p

£750 does seem a bit steep but then it also depends where they have to travel from. was once working with 2 blokes from REC. they do a very large area, around 150 miles from base up north. they could be at the furthest point, and they have to take the van and the truck to the job. lot of travelling.

martyn21 said:
He had to be there for saftey ready to smack his mate with a plank of wood if he electricuted himself
How unlucky was he?!? First an electric shock, then a beating from his mate for being so stupid! :LOL:

You can do the contestable work yourself - this will only be cutting the meter box in, drilling a hole, duct, trench etc.

As the service is live, the actual service move is not contestable.

You will also be resposible for providing new CU tails to the meterbox.

It would be far easier and cheaper, if the electricity board bothered to isolate the power for 15 minutes when they do the work - just like the old days!

kai said:
It would be far easier and cheaper, if the electricity board bothered to isolate the power for 15 minutes when they do the work - just like the old days!

yea, dig up the road and disconnect the supply to the house. which they would do live....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back