Electric oven both grill and oven not heating but fans turn.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I turned some jacket potatoes into lumps of coal yesterday by leaving them in the oven much too long and burning them!

AEG COMPETENCE B1180-4-M single electric oven.

I then went to use the oven tonight and;

Neither the oven element or grill element are working.
The grill fan is working.
The rear oven fan is working.
The internal oven light is working.
The thermostat light does not light and does not click when turned right round.
All wires appear fine as does the grill element.
I have turned off power and reset the clock but no difference.

Would I be correct to assume it is unlikely to be elements as both grill and oven dont heat? Could it be the thermo cut out or whatever it is I have shown in piccy? I have depressed it with an insulated screwdriver from above and it cuts out power to light and fan if that is an indication of anything. Is it most likely to be the thermostat and/or controller?

Any help is much appreciated.
image000pt1.jpg

Sponsored Links
You say you checked the wiring, was this wiring to the actual elements, these could burn & break if the t/stat failed.

I think it could be the t/stat has broke, not knowing the wiring, there could be a switch connected to the t/stat that switches the grill.

i visually traced all wiring and there is no signs at all of any failure, charring, arcing.

image001kc6.jpg

The only unusual thing I noticed is that the actual unsheathed wire from the probe to the t/stat dial at the point it enters into the oven casing, the small gromet for this entry hole had burnt and crumbled. I presume all this does is prevent heat loss from oven though

I have found this item

http://www.espares.co.uk/part/cookers-and-hobs/aeg/p/1092/143/0/0/875606/main-oven-thermostat.html

This looks the right part.

From your question am I correct in presuming you do not think it is a problem with the thermo cut out?

Sponsored Links
In the absence of a meter I removed and joined the wires from the thermostat together (as prompted from another forum), turned on power and the neon oven light came on and oven began to heat.
I have ordered a new thermostat.
Many thanks for any help and advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back