Electric Oven with no plug

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Finding the site very useful !
Im looking for some help please.

Just bought a new electric oven.
When I took the old one out it was simply plugged in via an ordinary flex and 13A plug into an ordinary plug socket at the side of oven.
The new oven has no fleg and plug just a wiring terminal.

Someone has told me that this is because the oven should be connected direct to the mains on it's own circuit which I will need to get an electrician in to do it.

However, the maximum load of the new oven is only 2200w so in my limited knowledge I would have thought the 13A plug and socket arrangement would be OK.

Am I talking nonsense and do I need to go the expense of getting the deicated circuit installed?

Sponsored Links
When you say "oven" you do mean "oven?" You don't mean "cooker?" And it's just a single oven, no separate grill or small oven?

What do you use for the frying pan and saucepans?

2200W is OK on a 13Amp plug.

However consider what other loads are on the socket ring. Does it do the whole house, or the downstairs? Have you got a washing machine, a tumble drier and a dishwasher on the same circuit as well as the oven?

Thanks for the reply.

It's just a single fan oven - no hob. Although the electric ignition for the gas hob is plugged in to the same double socket.

I'm not sure what other appliances are run from the same circuit.
I'll check when I get home to see what the loading is.
(There are four 16A cicrcuits on the circuit breaker board from what I recall as well as the circuits for the lighting, shower etc)

JohnD, I think you are trying to make to much of his post.

Oven is an oven
Cooker is an oven & hob (one unit)
Single oven with grill 13amp plug. The selector switch will only allow oven OR grill NOT both.

Sponsored Links
I have been caught out before by people who use the word "oven" to mean a cooker - hence my caution.

Thanks to both of you for the comments.

Yes, this is just an oven - you can use grill or fan oven but not both at the same time.

So I take it that that the 13A plug/socket arrangement is OK providing that, as per the earlier comment, the circuit does not have too much load overall.

Presumably if it did it would just trip out the breaker rather than pose a fire risk ? (forgive my ignorance)

OK

OK

Yes

Yes (and provided your installation is reasonably modern and in good condition - it is usual to have socket ring on a 32A MCB. The 16A MCBs are usually for an immersion heater or electric storage heaters)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back