electric panel heater

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Why do I need to hard wire a new 2kw panel heater In.yet have a 2kw conveter heater with a plug on confusing

Sponsored Links
It's quite simple really, and nothing to do with the kW rating. A panel radiator is a 'fixed appliance' and is permanently wired in. Like this:

Panel Heater.jpg

By 'conveter heater' I assume you mean a convector heater which is a 'portable appliance'. It is free standing and not fixed to anything, so can be moved around, and plugged in, as and where required.

Convector.jpg

Thanks gor your reply Stem.does the panel heater have to be hard wired in.or can I safely use a plug.and does it need to be a fused 20 amp switch if I have to wire it in or judt a 30 amp switch

Sponsored Links
I think I know where you are coming from, you bought a wall hung ( panel) heater, that obviously comes with no stand, so it is intended to be fixed to a wall, so the manufacturers simply did not supply a 3 pin prewired plug with 13Amp fuse, and supplied it with just a lose end wires, you are wondering if you now need to wire it to a fused spur or are you wondering if you can wire it up to a 3 pin plug and plug it into your normal mains socket?

( I personally don't see any reason why you cannot fit your own 3 pin plug to BS approved plug and wire it up correctly and plug it into a normal socket nearby to where you are going to fix this to a wall, a 2kw heater does not require more than 10Amps and a 13amps fuse will be just fine, make sure your connections are all done properly and tight and wired up correctly brown wire is connected to fuse in the plug and blue wire is connected to the left pin and green & yellow wire is connected to your top middle pin and cord is gripped down adequately, not overly tightened to crush the cable.

Last edited:
does the panel heater have to be hard wired in.or can I safely use a plug

That is a possibly controversial question which I will avoid.

does it need to be a fused 20 amp switch if I have to wire it in or judt a 30 amp switch

It needs a fuse. You want a "fused connection unit", or "FCU", like the one pictured above. With a 13A fuse.
As well as the fuse, these things have a proper outlet for the flex (if you buy the right one!) with a cord grip.

Thanks for your help .think it is clearer now why no plug on appliance..will probably opt to put a plug on .as it will save me having to run a spur off my ring main .as the walls are papered

Thanks gor your reply Stem.does the panel heater have to be hard wired in, or can I safely use a plug.

A 2kW fixed heater should be hard wired in via a Fused Connection Unit (FCU) The instructions that came with the panel heater should tell you this. You don't state what model your heater is, but as an example, the installation instructions for Dimplex panel heaters state:

"The heater is fitted with a length of flexible cable, for connection to the fixed wiring of the premises through a suitable connection box positioned adjacent to the heater."

For this reason they are not supplied with a plug fitted. The first photo I posted shows you how it should be done.

Portable Appliances on the other hand come with a plug and correctly sized fuse already fitted.

and does it need to be a fused 20 amp switch if I have to wire it in or judt a 30 amp switch

The size of the appliance determines what size over-current protection is required for 2kW heater a 13A fuse is required, again the instructions that came with it will confirm.

"The heater is fitted with a length of flexible cable, for connection to the fixed wiring of the premises through a suitable connection box positioned adjacent to the heater."

Is not a 13 amp socket a suitable connection box?

A 2kW fixed heater should be hard wired in via a Fused Connection Unit (FCU) The instructions that came with the panel heater should tell you this.
That is, indeed, probably what the instructions say. However, there is no electrical logic in saying that a 2kW fixed heater "must" be hard-wired, whereas an equivalent 2kW free-standing ('portable') heater is OK with a plug.
The size of the appliance determines what size over-current protection is required for 2kW heater a 13A fuse is required, again the instructions that came with it will confirm.
Strictly speaking, it is the size of the cable (which should be adequate for the appliance) supplying the appliance determines what OPD is required. If the appliance is deemed to require specific over-current protection, that should be provided internally within the appliance.

Kind Regards, John

It is a creda heater amd it does say to hard wire it.but can't se any logical reason why

It is a creda heater amd it does say to hard wire it.but can't se any logical reason why
Portable appliances must have a plug fitted.
Fixed ones do not, so they are not supplied with one because it reduces costs for the manufacturer.

If a plug was supplied fitted, there is a good chance of some idiot plugging it in but not fixing it to the wall, causing overheating and fire.

If you want to fit a plug on it, then go ahead.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back