Electric shock off central heating pipe.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My dishwasher has been playing up by stopping mid cycle although this now seems to be intermittent. The central heating will not fire up if the dishwasher is on so we can only use the dishwasher when the heating is not required. Today my husband touched the central heating pipes leading down to the cellar and received quite a strong electric shock> Does anyone no what might be causing the dishwasher to have this effect on the heating? :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
It sounds that you may have a serious lack of earthing and/or bonding somewhere in the house.
It may be that there is a fault on something (dishwasher/central heating perhaps) that is causing the two to interact and also to put voltage on pipes that should be earthed.

A fault like that should blow a fuse or trip a safety breaker but it won't if the main earth is missing.

I would get a competent electrician in ASAP to check it out. And wear rubber gloves in the meantime.

Seems very odd that the central heating wont fire up with the dishwasher running.
Like TTC says you need a competent spark to test it out with a matter or urgency.
It might even be a good idea to switch off the main switch until it has been checked out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back