Electric shower and MCB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,
I am sure these types of questions have been asked before.
I am fitting an electric shower in. I am putting in 10mm cable from the Main board to a pull switch with neon and little off and on sign.
Then continuing the 10mm cable to the shower. The shower will be 8.5kw.

Firstly can i use a 32amp mcb as a temp measure, until i get a 40 amp? What are the implications of this.

More importantly at present i can only get hold of a 50amp mcb. if i put this instead of a 40amp is this ok??

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Kam

Sponsored Links
Firstly can i use a 32amp mcb as a temp measure, until i get a 40 amp? What are the implications of this.
Not really as the shower will draw 34A.

More importantly at present i can only get hold of a 50amp mcb. if i put this instead of a 40amp is this ok??
If the cable runs through NO thermal insulation NOR conduit, i.e. clipped direct to an open surface or buried in masonry, then it would be alright.

Sponsored Links
Kammyj - what tests do you plan to carry out on the circuit - what sequence will you do them in and at what point will you energise the circuit? For each test do you know what is being measured, why it is important, how you will carry out the test, and with what equipment, and what sort of results you would expect to get if everything was OK?

Firstly can i use a 32amp mcb as a temp measure, until i get a 40 amp?
No, as the current will be more than 32A, and temporary items usually end up being permanent.

Maybe, possibly. Can't see what the problem is - MCBs are readily available everywhere, and 40A is hardly unusual.

Any advice will be much appreciated.
The advice is that you shouldn't be doing this work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back