Electric Shower Cable question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

I have just purchased a 10.5kW to replace my broken 8.5kW Shower. Whilst removing the unit I noticed that there was a discrepancy in the supply wiring. I was expecting to find 10mm square L, N & E but found a Twin & Earth, L & N are both 6mm square with a single strand 1.7mm Earth. Then there is a separate 10mm square 7 strand Earth wire. So the main terminal block is as follows L = 6mm, N = 6mm E = 10mm & on the other side of the terminal block going to the Element is L = 6mm, N = 6mm E = 1.7mm single strand. The Circuit is protected with a 40A MCB.
Basically, what I want clarifying is would this be a safe installation if I exchanged it for 8.5kW similar to what I am removing?
Your thoughts please.

Sponsored Links
The manufacturers instructions will give the specifics but for the shower you have described you will need a 10mm² T&E cable probably to a 45A MCB and additionally protected by an RCD.

Basically, what I want clarifying is would this be a safe installation if I exchanged it for 8.5kW similar to what I am removing?
Your thoughts please.
It would be no more dangerous!
As far as safety is concerned that would depend on whether the existing circuit is safe for continued service.
But a better option than replacing with a higher output than the circuit can deal with.
The MI would recommend 30mA RCD protection, so that would be worth considering if not existing.

Thanks for your thoughts guys. My Consumer unit is protected with a 30mA trip. I would have liked to have kept the 10.5kW & replaced the wiring for 10mm but I don't think I could pull it through, it appears to be quite tight @ 6mm. I don't want to have to break the Tiles in the Bathroom.
But just to be clear, are you saying 6mm would be fine for 8.5kW?
Cheers.

Sponsored Links
8.5 or even 9kW should be okay, but being remote of your installtion I would be taking that on assumptions, as I do not know the route of your cable nor the method it has been installed, as this can effect the current carrying capacity. Once you get over 9kW I would personally recommend upgrading cable size.

Thanks Prenticeboy I appreciate your advise.
You know what its like, you start a simple replacement job assuming everything was correct before it failed, until you spot something & start asking questions. Once I take responsibility for changing it over, I have a duty of care to my family or anybody else who might use the Shower to ensure it is done correctly.
Thank you.

Bing

10500/240 = 43.75A

Maximum Current Carrying Capacity of 6mm² cable if clipped direct or in a non-insulated wall is 47A.

The problem being the availability of 45A MCBS, and we wouldn't want to have 50 amper on a cable that is only designed to carry a max of 47A.
Then if we look in to ref methods of cable routed within floors, it could well be ref meth B, which would produce a derating.

The problem being the availability of 45A MCBS,
True, but they may be available for the OP's.

and we wouldn't want to have 50 amper on a cable that is only designed to carry a max of 47A.
433.3.1(ii)

Then if we look in to ref methods of cable routed within floors, it could well be ref meth B, which would produce a derating.
True again but I did write "if clipped direct or in a non-insulated wall" which it may be.

A big thank you to all who have posted replies.
A new 8.5kW shower is now up & running & I feel confident that it is a good installation which isn't pushing any load boundaries.
Yes the 10.5kW would have been nice. But it wasn't worth trying to replace the supply wire & MCB.
Cheers guys.

Bing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back