Electric shower - producing only cold water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Electric shower has worked without any issues for the last 2 years, including yesterday.

This morning I got up and it's now producing only cold water.

There is a power light above the dials. Usually, when you turn the water on, after about 5 seconds, the light flicks on, and cold water starts coming out.

This morning, the light never came on, meaning it was producing only cold water.

I am a COMPLETE novice with plumbing, electrics, any DIY. I may just call a plumber now, but is there anything you can suggest that I should try first?

I really can't afford a big bill and this has come at the worst time

MY SHOWER:

IMG_1250.png

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Have you checked the fuse or circuit breaker at your consumer unit/fuse box? It should be a separate circuit for an electric shower.

Have you checked the fuse or circuit breaker at your consumer unit/fuse box? It should be a separate circuit for an electric shower.

Hi Tipper,

Yes, all the switches are "ON", so I don't think any have tripped.

Thanks

If it's older than 10 years I would normally advise a replacement as some shower parts of more expensive than a new shower.

Look at Triton website for a manual for your model and look up a trouble shooting section. It could be that the thermal cut out has operated or that the heating element is goosed.

Sponsored Links
If it's older than 10 years I would normally advise a replacement as some shower parts of more expensive than a new shower.

Look at Triton website for a manual for your model and look up a trouble shooting section. It could be that the thermal cut out has operated or that the heating element is goosed.

I think it is pretty old.

I looked up a new Triton Amber shower and it's about £60.

How easy is it for a novice like me to swap them over? Or would you recommend just getting a plumber out?

I can't answer that only you can. Easier if you can isolate the water supply easily to just the shower and if the pipe layout doesn't need changing.

It may be worth getting an electrician to check and connect the wiring. Current regulations require an MCB blah blah to make sure the electrical supply is safe [I am no electrician].

If in doubt... don.t!

I've reserved a new electric shower, only costs £55 (reduced from £69).

It's the Triton Amber 3 shower, so the latest version of the one I have now. Different size, but hopefully should be able to be plummed in without any major issues.

Plumber booked:

£89 call out which includes first 30 minutes of work
+ £29 for each 30 minute period

Providing power/wiring is ok to shower. you've either got a faulty
main tco, pressure switch micro switch has failed or the pressure switch isn't rising to activate the pressure m/switch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back