Electric shower vs thermostatic mixer shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im in a bit of a quandary as which to fit.

Im thinking I'd rather have a thermostatic mixer shower but Im not sure if I have enough water presure for it work correctly or not. The makers seem to quote Bar pressure but I dont know how much I have, all I do know is that I can fill 18 litres in a minute at the quiet times and about 14/15 at peak times.

Is that enough for a decent shower ?

i've got a powerful combi boiler(baxi) so im not worried about that side of things but if I was to fit a thermostatic mixer shower I'd have to chase out the controller and pipes, which also mean copper pipe jointing which I have no experience or tools, could it be done with just compression fittings chased into a breeze block wall ?

Maybe it would be just easier with an electric shower ?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
You could use compression if you really needed too.

If you have a combi like you say, don't think twice about fitting an electric shower!! it will be p1ss weak as apposed to a thermostatic mixer shower.

Electric showers cost more to run and the pressure is generally awful, they also die eventually because of hard water.

A thermostatic shower will practically last forever and will produce a power shower effect.

yeah, cheers for that ive decided on a mira excell but at £315 (inc vat) it seems astronomical !

Im right in the middle of my bathroom project at the moment so the shower is going in tomorrow or maybe wed.

I'm thinking ive got to install two short lengths of 15mm copper tube which I will have to chase into the wall, not to hard as its breeze block, do I need to encapsulate the pipe, plaster or just tile over it, or could I use plastic pipe instead??

cheers.

Electric shower will provide clean people during the cold weeks of winter ahead when the combi is awaiting repairs or renewals.

OTOH thermo mixer shower will pleasure the pople more, and some people seem to take pleasure for so long in a shower that they run their combis ragged until they break down and then no pleasure until the repair man comes to call. He will ensure you are once again satisfied.

I have some customers who I have no idea what they get up to in the shower but they don't half do some damage. There was the dancer who managed to make a bumb sized hole at bum hight in the stud wall through the tiles. Then there is an HMO with two lap dancers a model an goodness knows what else but they are 5 rooms full of babes, and theur shower is always going dicky. One time recently their landlord called me because they'd somehow got the thing off the wall and water flowing full blast. This is just one of many strange incidents, I just hope the combi I fitted lasts a few years.

Sponsored Links
Paul Barker said:
Electric shower will provide clean people during the cold weeks of winter ahead when the combi is awaiting repairs or renewals.

are you sure you didnt tinker with it so you would have to go back ? ;)

I must admit this landlord gets a very fast response time, but I can report that apart from the exhibitionist model on the first floor back bedroom (who has made sure both when I knocked on the door and she said come in she had hardly anything on and same trick for my m8 so we are certain she does it deliberately) and she is absolutely gorgious, the two lap dancers aren't that great and have dead eyes like sharks, they are so spent out connecting with men at work they couldn't give a toss about you that is plain to see. You get more evidence of a sole from almost anyone else under the sun.

Paul Barker said:
I must admit this landlord gets a very fast response time, but I can report that apart from the exhibitionist model on the first floor back bedroom (who has made sure both when I knocked on the door and she said come in she had hardly anything on and same trick for my m8 so we are certain she does it deliberately) and she is absolutely gorgious, the two lap dancers aren't that great and have dead eyes like sharks, they are so spent out connecting with men at work they couldn't give a toss about you that is plain to see. You get more evidence of a sole from almost anyone else under the sun.

Hmmm !!! Sounds a bit fishy .

Perhaps some secret surveillance cameras should be fitted so the landlord can, er, monitor what damage they're doing to his showers ;)

We went for a Triton thermostatic mixer as its cheaper.
The flows not very strong and I wish we'd installed a pump at the same time.
One word of warning, when we got our shower open it said you needed to buy a £40 "optional" mounting bracket. Its bloody annoying when you find it its going to cost even more...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back