Electric shower - water suddenly stops

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a Triton electric shower (pumped). It's been fine for many years but developed a sudden problem.

Water comes out at required temperature but then suddenly after a minute or two the water stops completely. The shower still makes a sound ... so it's not an electric cut-out.

I thought it may be a water pressure issue. Checked the tank in the loft and adjusted the ballcock so water rises to almost the level of the overflow pipe.

But the problem with the shower persists. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Thanks. I hadn't thought of that. Just cleaned the filter (it was pretty clean anyway). Ran the shower again, on cold, and the water stopped after three minutes.

Take off the head and just run through the hose, does it still shut down?

If it shuts off and the pump keeps running then you may need to get someone it to check the solenoid valve. What model of Triton?

Sponsored Links
It's a Triton T80si. Yes, I did remove the head. Forgot to mention that earlier.

The solenoid assembly is listed on Triton's site at about £40. Is there a way to verify it's the solenoid before I order one in and get someone to fit it?

(And is it that difficult to fit? I'm no DIY expert, but I did change the brushes in this shower a year ago. Would changing the solenoid be a lot more complicated?)

That did look interesting, Andy. Even given that the solenoid is about £12 in eBay. But unforunately, though this new model says the entry points are the same, they are not. Maybe because mine is the T80si "pumped" or whatever, but the entry points are different.

Any suggestion on how to check if it's indeed the solenoid?

How old is the shower. Usually anything over 10 yrs old is not worth repairing. The annoying thing is that manufacturers change the design layout and sometime a 'like for like' swap is not as simple as you would hope.

If you know how to use a multimeter the solenoid can be tested for continuity but it's strange that it will run then shut off after a few minutes each time, usually it's a fail and not work again when the solenoid goes unless there's something else switching it off.

Test for continuity then wait till it fails then test again would be a good start.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back