Electrical cable help please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I have a single socket that is below the kitchen work top and is used for the washing machine. Opening this socket reveals 2 cables entering. It was my plan to add to this socket a 3rd cable running to a fused switch to enable the addition of further sockets.

Well the socket is pretty busy to be honest, and can see it being a pain to run the 3 cable from it. So I have decided to break into the cable above the work top. so the plan now is to put a 13 amp switch in the break, run a cable down as a spur to the single washing machine socket and add my new double above the work top as another spur from the fused switch.

However and here is my question, i am unsure of what the 2 cables running down the wall are, i assume they are from the ring main and a return. In my fused switch i have the load and the supply terminals. Would i be correct in thinking both of the cables in the wall will be connected to the load and the spurred cables would run from the supply?

My best mate is an electrician so ideally i would ask him to do it, but he's currently indisposed for a while, please i know the leave to a qualified electrician speel,

Would appreciate your help

Sponsored Links
However and here is my question, i am unsure of what the 2 cables running down the wall are, i assume they are from the ring main and a return.
You will have to get your mate to determine if they are.

If they are this would be the ideal place to add another socket.
If not - ???

In my fused switch i have the load and the supply terminals. Would i be correct in thinking both of the cables in the wall will be connected to the load and the spurred cables would run from the supply?
No, other way round.
Load is the appliance and, surprise, surprise, the supply is the electricity supply

:)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back