Electrical Installation Certificate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I recently hired an unregistered electrician to convert my spots around the house to LEDs, insert new bathroom lighting, and replace my main RDC panel. He brought a registered electrician round for sign-off for certification purposes. I have the BS 7671 certificate, which covers "upgrading of consumer unit earthing and bonding conductors". Does this only certify the RCD? Do I need another certificate for the lighting?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
You should really have got a certificate for the rest of the work, but I wouldn't worry TOO much. Is there a comma after unit and before earthing? Because the way you've typed it reads that it was just the earthing and bonding he upgraded.

Did you get a full set of test results with the certificate? And did he hand it to you or did it come in the post?

When it comes to selling the house, the certificate for the fuse board will be the ones a buyer would want to see, you could have quite easily done the other works yourself.

That being said, you could always call him and ask for one for the rest of the work, no harm

Thanks for the speedy reply.

There's no comma - the wording is as I've typed it.

The certificate is a full 3-pager, with each circuit tested and the results on the second page (R1 and R2). I was just unsure about whether it covered key areas, such as the fire/water proof properties of the new down-lighters throughout the house, including the bathroom.

You should really have got a certificate for the rest of the work, but I wouldn't worry TOO much. Is there a comma after unit and before earthing? Because the way you've typed it reads that it was just the earthing and bonding he upgraded.
I presume that there should have been a comma, since the OP said that the work included "...and replace my main RDC panel.".

However, the point which hasn't been made is that the CU replacement (and possibly the bathroom lighting) will have been 'notifiable' work. That being the case, quite apart from an EIC, if the second electrician self-certified the notifiable work (BAS may wish to comment!), he should provide a Building Regulations Compliance Certificate - which is the document that a future purchaser of the property may ask to see.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Yea that's the bit you should have got the certificate for (no harm in issuing a certificate for the other work either).

As John says, did you get a BRCC? Or just a certificate from this 2nd electrician?

It could well be that he's just issued a certificate and not actually notified it

There's no comma - the wording is as I've typed it.
In that case, it might be worth asking if a comma can be added since, as Iggifer said, as written it could be taken not to include the CU ('RCD panel') replacement.

However, as I've just written, you should get a Compliance Certificate as well as an EIC.

Kind Regards, John

However, the point which hasn't been made is that the CU replacement (and possibly the bathroom lighting) will have been 'notifiable' work. That being the case, quite apart from an EIC, if the second electrician self-certified the notifiable work (BAS may wish to comment!), he should provide a Building Regulations Compliance Certificate - which is the document that a future purchaser of the property may ask to see.

Kind Regards, John

Doesn't the BRCC come from the electrician's scheme operator sometime after he has notifed the work to it, rather than directly from the electrician at the time? So depending on how "recently" the work was done, said certificate may well appear in due course.

Thanks both.

Who should issue the Compliance Certificate - the unregistered installer or the registered EIC issuer? And does the CC need to specify anything in particular?

Electrician has just told me "you are fully covered on your insurance for up to 10 years". No idea what relevance this has!

A Compliance Certificate comes from the schemes.

If the work has been notified to the LABC by an unregistered electrician PRIOR to the work then a Completion Certificate is issued by the LA.

So, a Compliance Certificate always comes from the schemes.

So the result seems to be that my EIC from the registered NICEIC guy covers the RCD (subject to inclusion of a comma) and probably the rest of the work (i.e. down-lighters, particularly in bathroom), but isn't enough. That guy needs to send the EIC off to NICEIC and I need a CC to follow.

Have I understood that reasonably correctly?

Thanks again for the help.

So the result seems to be that my EIC from the registered NICEIC guy covers the RCD (subject to inclusion of a comma)
The results of the testing should be on the schedules and will include the RCD.

That guy needs to send the EIC off to NICEIC and I need a CC to follow.
Have I understood that reasonably correctly?
No, he just informs them on line the work done in the above very simple headings.

No one sees the E I Certificate - except perhaps at annual inspection.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back