Electrics, camping and RCDs.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I do a bit of tent camping and don't use electrical hook-ups as I prefer to keep things simple using gas for cooking and a quality coolbox for chilling a few bits of food for a couple of days.

I seem to be in the minority as I've noticed a recent increase in other tent campers having a vast array of electrical kit that they use in tents.

The electric outlet 'posts' at campsites seem to have over-current protection of 10A or 16A and also an RCD. The tent owners then plug in their connection lead and trail it off to the tent. Some people just use a lead going straight to 13A mains socket(s) while others have a connection with it's own built-in RCD to feed the 13A sockets.

Does a circuit that has two RCDs (the campsites and the tent owners) work as they hoped or will it cause problems? If it is okay, then I guess it means the tent owner doesn't have to worry about trusting the site's one. I'm interested in any thoughts and opinions on this.

Sponsored Links
Two RCDs can be used together. But you don't need one any more than you need to use RCD leads in your garden if your house already has RCD protection on the relevant circuit.

You can either trust the site's RCD supply, or use an extra RCD. You will have to check both devices if there is a fault.

The rules are quite strict on campsites regarding RCD protection.

Regulations cover the camping site but not the tent. Where caravans are user one is required to use two RCD's in series to each other and it is the only place where you need to feed on 30ma RCD with another 30ma RCD. I would suspect this is to cover when one of the parties don't follow the rules.

There are a number of things not covered by regulations. Canal narrow boats are another example they are too long for one set of regulations and because not commercial not covered by other.

Because they are not covered electricians doing tests on camping equipment can note what the don't like but can't list it as not complying as there is nothing to comply with.

these do seem a good idea.

However for caravans the minimum size is 2.5mm² and 25 m (±2 m) long this ensures it will always reach and it is thick enough to stand the expected ware and tare. However other thinner cables can be offered for sale for other purposes.

1.5mm² cable is rated 16A and 2.5mm² rated 20A but many are advertised as having 25A cable which would be 4mm² so I am suspicious about what is really being offered for sale.

There are so many web sites giving outdated informations even this web site lists 0.5mm² cable as 3A but BS7671:2008 gives 0.75mm² as minimum size permitted for flex (Table 52.3). With some sites now wanting test certs before they will connect up I would say to be on safe side buy from one of the large camping shops to ensure it complies.

Sponsored Links
having camped for a long time, and now having a caravan, I can strongly reccomend buying one as posted above, at least then you can have the peace of mind YOUR RCD is ok, some of the installations I have seen on campsites leave a bit to be desired, so who knows when they were last tested.

1.5mm² cable is rated 16A and 2.5mm² rated 20A but many are advertised as having 25A cable which would be 4mm² so I am suspicious about what is really being offered for sale.

There are so many web sites giving outdated informations even this web site lists 0.5mm² cable as 3A but BS7671:2008 gives 0.75mm² as minimum size permitted for flex (Table 52.3).

Apologies for only part quoting.
Where did you get the 20A figure from? I have always thought of 2.5mm flex as 25A and checking table 4H3A in BS7671:2001 shows 25A. Has this changed in :2008? (don't have the book here to check). Historically some lists show TRS cable at nearer 30A.

Bearing in mind that if you use the test button on your own RCD then you will more than likely make the campsite RCD operate as well - your neighbours will not be happy campers !

Bearing in mind that if you use the test button on your own RCD then you will more than likely make the campsite RCD operate as well - your neighbours will not be happy campers !

Not if the test button connects a resistor from Live IN to Neutral OUT inside the RCD. The current through the sensor is un-balanced but the un-balance does not extend outside the RCD

having camped for a long time, and now having a caravan, I can strongly reccomend buying one as posted above, at least then you can have the peace of mind YOUR RCD is ok, some of the installations I have seen on campsites leave a bit to be desired, so who knows when they were last tested.

Your RCD will only cover the part downstream of it - if the flex becomes damaged then the site RCD will still have to deal with it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back