Electrics in skirting board?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am in the process of renovating a house during which the property will be rewired.

I have heard of a skirting board, where you can place the cables ... possibly even cables for Internet, AV, etc.

Does anyone have experience with such a product?

Regards,
Chris

Sponsored Links
If you're renovating the house, why bother with such a product? Surely the boards are up, plaster off, it wont matter?

Sponsored Links
Im sure Ive seen some nicer looking than that, cant find it, that stuff just makes your house look like an office.

This stuff:

This is dado trunking not skirting trunking.

I clicked the wrong one.
UVSLSX.JPG

Happy? :p

Im sure Ive seen some nicer looking than that, cant find it, that stuff just makes your house look like an office.
You can also get some even uglier stuff - it has T pieces which run upwards to surface mount sockets, but (fortunately? ;) ) I can't remember who makes it.

No.

The one I remember was like this:

sys-lfs-skl.jpg

That isn't the one, but it's pretty similar, and will serve perfectly well to illustrate what I meant about even uglier ones. IIRC the one I've seen is from one of the big European manufacturers.

There are hollow wooden skirting products apparently intended for carrying cables. The thing that would put me off such products though is that it isn't obvious that there are electrical services inside them.

I'm not sure how the regs define concealed cables but even if these things are technically compliant with the regs I still think they are risky with regards to people inadvertantly drilling into them.

If you are doing a major renovation anyway then just chase the cables in making sure to follow the standard rules for safe zones.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back