Electrics provision for system boiler and megaflow with immersion heater

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am preparing a boiler room to accommodate the above and was wondering if someone can advise me on what provision I need to make by way of electrics. Currently I have a separate ring main which comprises of a double power socket and a FCU.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You've got a separate ring final with just a 2-gang socket and a fused spur?

The supply for the boiler would usually be a switched fused spur (with fuse size as specified in MIs) and an additional switched fused spur can cope with a standard (3kW) immersion heater although better to fit a 20 amp DP switch and have an appropriately fused dedicated circuit back to the consumer unit - notification required as this is a new circuit.

Thanks for the response. I have created a new ring/circuit for the purposes of the boiler room. To make sure that my terminology isn't skewed. I have a 2.5mm twin and earth coming from the consumer unit, off a dedicated trip switch. This serves a double socket and a FCU in teh form of a ring and then returns back to the consumer unit. It's in first fix stage so I can easily add more sockets, FCU's, etc.

Thanks for your help

I don't see any need for a ring main when a spur would do.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Single 20A radial circuit, 2.5mm cable would typically be suitable, at the end a 20A switch with neon indicator for the immersion and a 3A fused spur for the boiler & controls.

sorry for the incessant questions but I've already laid a ring main. I appreciate that a spur would have sufficed but since I've alreday gone to this effort, I assume you aren't suggesting that i scrap it? Do I have to have a radial?
also aren't the fused spur and neon switch just additional points on my current ring? I.e. I leave another 1 gang on the ring as I already have one on there along with the double socket.

But traditionally you will have a 32 A MCB feeding a single 20 A DP switch and a 3 A spur.

Guys,

I thought it would be helpful to send you a picture of my first fix. I appreciate that the double socket may not be required. Presumably, the other two can connect into the FCU shown in the picture?

97003-1bff32212275b5133294c7ed71f67dc3.jpg

Attachments

• WP_20160409_13_06_32_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160409_13_06_32_Pro.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 295
You can use what you have, it's just totally over the top for a 3A boiler and an immersion heater which will seldom be used.

thanks @flameport.
I've got a 21 way consumer unit and thought it would make sense to devote a circuit to this rather than share with something else.

is a switched fuse spur the same as a fused connection unit? If yes, as per picture, I have two of them along with a double socket.

I had an plumber around today to quote me for the installation of the megaflow and system boiler. He suggested that I may need to go thicker than the current 2.5mm twin and earth given that the circuit would be powering the immersion heater. Any substance to that?

Thanks for the response. To be clear, are you suggesting that irrespective of the megaflow size e.g. 300 litres or boiler size 35 KW, 2.5mm cable will be sufficient?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back