ELECTROLUX EKC6046K Upper oven blows fuse - advice?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys! New here and just wondered if any electrical repair people may recognise the symptoms coming from my ELECTROLUX EKC6046K bought 3 years ago.

I can use all hobs, the lower fan oven and the upper grill but when I turn the dial for the grill/upper oven clockwise, past the light setting to upper oven, there is a loud ‘BANG!’ and a red flash, seemingly from around the back of that dial at the edge of the hob and this obviously trips the circuit breaker on our RCD.

Originally when it happened a few months ago, it tripped my downstairs plugs as well e.g. white goods and I was very worried till flipping the circuit breakers back, turned it all back on again.

Now this happens every time you follow the above procedure and we've been living with it because I’m scared of how much it will cost to fix and we don't use the upper oven much so can live without it but the other night watching TV, the whole downstairs ring main blew again and the switches on the RCD hadn't flipped. This even affected the upstairs electric shower but all main lights worked and the upstairs plugs.

We got an electrician booked but on the advice of another forum electrician we tried flipping switches again on RCD, specifically the test switch, after turning all fuses off and unplugging everything downstairs and it all worked again albeit the cooker lower oven had stopped working and the upper oven still did its banging thing.

Yesterday I fixed the lower oven as I thought maybe it had tripped the programme timer into thinking it had automatically turned off the oven and reset that and it suddenly worked again. I thought maybe I'd fixed more of it and showed my dad but on turning the dial to upper oven, 'BANG'! It made him jump out of his skin and he said it looked very dangerous and like it was a faulty dial. The other electrician thought it to be the oven filament however. So I’m wondering about costs of these two parts and average labour costs as Comet offer a £99 fixed price repair service now, which I might have to use if it will be that much to fix.

So any ideas after my essay?

Sponsored Links
Disconect the top element see if it trip. If yes there a switch pack behind the dial. Check for burnt/scorch marks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back