Elkay Timer Switch Faulty??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good Evening All,

Ive recently fitted one of these timer switches to a dual fuel towel radiator:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/elkay-3-w...pL-1SDDGxivXHIQbRJNZfL7ndjSfGdoTlwaAj-w8P8HAQ

If I have read the instructors right about operation, it says the switch should light up red when the appliance (element) is switched on. But mine goes off.

There is a blue light on when the appliance is off and when you touch the plate, the light goes off (the element works fine) and only flashes red in the last 1 minute of use before switching off and going back to a blue ring.

Just wondering has anyone fitted these before?

As a paid £40 for the switch I want it working properly otherwise its going back. If it only cost £10 I wouldn't be so bothered :)

Regards

Sponsored Links
upload_2017-1-17_18-38-35.png

Number 1 under Operation states (if I have read it correctly) the red LED will light up. It doesn't say that it stays on or goes off but I would have thought it should stay on. I don't even think it flashes red, the blue light just goes off.

We have fitted loads of them, but cant really remember what they do as we now use other makes and i dont smoke.
A lot of pubs have them on there smoking heaters, so your average smoker/drinker would know for sure.

Im sure it is normally blue to atract you and help locate the button. load off
Once pressed and activated it is then not lit and load on

About a minute before the time ends it flashes red to warn you.
Pressing again resets the time to start again
As does pressing it any time its already on.
If further pressed The unit will then return to unlit again and load will stay on for the further set time.

Holding the button in whilst already on, will force a flashing red light and the shut down timer starts early , about a minute later it goes off
This is for if say the timer is set for 30 minutes and you decide you want it off after say 5 minutes, then you can.

Once off then it is back lit blue again

EDIT
Reading your instructions it seems maybe the red light is on all the time the load is on.
As I said i cant really remember, as its so small but that maybe the case.
I also recall the red light has too be switched on when the things new using one of the dip switches
However the rest regarding the blue light and the red flashing light im quite sure about as we used to have to wait for it to check they actually turned off, though as said I dont recall it staying red.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The last line in the instructions may be the best way forward

"TECHNICAL HELPLINE
For further help, or information on this and the other products in the Elkay range visit www.elkay.co.uk or call 01675 468222"

I tried to ring them at the weekend but didn't get any answer. Today is the first chance I've had so I'll try again, that was my plan anyway.

Just managed to get hold of the technical support. Really friendly actually. The switch works as advertised. All lights are extinguished when the appliance is switched on. My bad!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back