Emulsion as undercoat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have used the search facility and can't find that this question has been asked before.

Now that I have completed the walls and ceiling (thks Thermo and Panjandrum), I have the woodwork to complete.

I have primered the new skirting boards with oil based primer but I am on a really tight schedule. I would normally use an oil based undercoat but what are peoples views about using emulsion as an undercoat for speed of drying and its covering quality?

I have used water based primer and undercoat before but I am not a big fan of this type of paint. I found the adhesion deteriorated after time and when your try to prepare it for re-painting, its like working with a plastic film, it doesn't rub down well.

Any comments appreciated.

Sponsored Links
i always use a water based primer/undercoat. dont get the sort from diy sheds, go to a dulux centre/ johnsons or pother trade centre and get a trade quality one. good coverage, and quick drying

I would avoid putting water based paint over oil based paint as crazing may occur due to differing curing times.

Oil based on top of waterbased is fine though.

Sponsored Links
I get paint and really good advice from a small trade paint shop. There are loads of them around. They'll mix ANY colour you want from any of the big names and be cheaper. Mine has really good advice on general paint problems, is pretty smart on colour advice, ,delivers free, is really good value and offers free credit! I haven't bought paint in a "normal" paint shop since Harry Noblett retired.

use ACRLYIC Eggshell, it is water based and dries quick depending on humidity, recoatable within 2 hrs. use DULUX as it the best. 2 coats is the norm.

Yep I used acrylic eggshell in the bathroom two days before the carpet fitters were due in (nothing like a bit of forward planning), cos I knew gloss wouldn't be hard enough to cope with the blows and scuffs from the carpet fitting.
Each coat dried in a couple hours. No marks on paint and no paint on carpet - magic.

if your planning on using emulsion as undercoat before glossing you won`t have a problem..........they use it on site.just as good.

A little bit late but thanks for the advice from the last 4 posters. Room is now completed apart from the radiator and door which I can do in the garage (in my spare time!!!). Onto the next task which is the repainting the fascia's and re-aligning the guttering.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back