Emulsioning a wall already emulsioned

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Scenario:-
Wall already emulsioned with Magnolia. Took down pictures, removed hooks, filled holes, sanded down, when dry applied new coat of emulsion.
Wall turned orangey brown, whats causing this?

Sponsored Links
Was it orangy brown paint? How many coats did you use? Is it in patches or the same all over?

Bit late now but I would have washed the walls first. If you're lucky you might be able to paint over. Your mileage varies with paint. I've used the Crown stuff and it's about as dense as Hydrogen, takes a good few costs. I've tried the Dulux Once stuff, which takes about two coats. I seem to recall having one wall that had this annoying, recurring stain over the top. In the end I painted it blue and that hid it!

As said what make and colour paint are you using?

It could be nicotine, have there been smokers in the home?

Sponsored Links
I think that in order for it to be nicotine you would need a lot of smoking over a prolonged period right? I do not think that just having a smoker there would immediately lead to those issues. I wonder if the OP is going to be able to provide us with some more information.

Thanks for all comments, have now found solution.
Applied 1 coat of PVA, 24 hrs later applied emulsion, Jobs a good one

I really hate to say this now that you've done it, but PVA should never be applied before paint, as it prevents the paint from adhering as well as it should.

Cheers
Richard

I really hate to say this now that you've done it, but PVA should never be applied before paint, as it prevents the paint from adhering as well as it should.

Cheers
Richard

My thoughts too but I wasn't going to rain on his parade :D

Likewise. I just puzzle over the fact that people believe PVA is the answer to everything these days.

Still, self-peeling paint could be a selling point I suppose :LOL:

I'm under no illusion that PVA is the answer to everything. Clearly for any job what you actually need is duct tape or WD-40. If moves and shouldn't, use duct-tape, if it doesn't move and it should use WD-40. In the call of the walls, I think, on balance, duct tape is probably the better choice.

KBDIY, Self peelable paint is(or used to be) available. Used in the theatre and TV industries and was named "pebblemill peelable" after Pebblemill studios in Birmingham. Used for stage sets and floors you just peeled it off when a different colour was required.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back