1. We are pleased to announce the 'Home Automation' forum. Click here to get involved!

Emulsioning lighter colour over dark

Discussion in 'Decorating and Painting' started by Alison556, 14 Mar 2010.

1. Alison556

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    My living room walls have a really good quality wallpaper on them though we're now sick looking at it!! I don't want to have to re-paper so wanted to emulsion.

However, the wallpaper is cream but it has red rectangles dotted about.

I did a couple of test patches to see if it would cover - one with two coats of ordinary emulsion and one with a base coat of Dulux Once and then a top coat of the colour I was going to use.

However, the red is still showing through slightly on both test areas.

Is there a product that I could use to cover the red - or am I destined to three coats of emulsion?

Also, an obscure thought comes to mind - I'm sure I saw something once about using green over red to cancel it out before using a top coat. Am I dreaming or does that work?

Any help much appreciated - I really don't want to have to strip and re-paper the walls.

2. jpb123

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom

3. jpb123

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    crown decorating centre paint called covermatt, dont be fooled by retail paint, trade paint all the way. :D

4. minoka123

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    white oil based undercoat will cover over it drys in a couple of hours too make sure everything well covered as its oil based and you have plenty of ventilation as it is quite stroung when wet

5. Robbie uk

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The dyes in the red motifs will keep bleeding through emulsion. Oil based undercoat as said will probably seal it or something like Zinnser BIN. Then when dry emulsion over as normal.

6. Alison556

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Ahh, thanks all.

I'm going to have to get Zinnser for the hallway - the old distemper on the walls (or whatever it is) is bleeding through the paper - so I'd got told on another thread to use that to stop it - I'll just be buying a very large tin of it!!

Thanks again everyone.

7. joe-90

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Zinnser is a rip off. Cheap oil based undercoat is just as good - if not better.

8. Robbie uk

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thing is Joe, some colours can still bleed through oil based paint. Some of the sealers are Shellac based and this will seal most things.