END OF THE WORLD= 2007 !

M

Moz

a bloke down my pub was telling me , about this Project being undertaken ,
called the Atlas Detector !

ATLAS is a particle physics experiment that will explore the fundamental nature of matter and the basic forces that shape our universe. The ATLAS detector will search for new discoveries in the head on collisions of protons of extraordinarily high energy. ATLAS is one of the largest collaborative efforts ever attempted in the physical sciences. There are 1800 physicists (Including 400 students) participating from more than 150 universities and laboratories in 34 countries

In the last 50 years, the study of the basic constituents of matter and their interactions has led to an extraordinarily detailed understanding of subatomic phenomena (phenomena on the scale of atomic nuclei or smaller). This work culminated in the unification of electromagnetism and radioactivity, by which we mean that they are now understood to be different aspects of the same phenomenon. This achievement ranks as one of the great triumphs of the human intellect.

http://pdg.lbl.gov/atlas/atlas_photos.html

These discoveries were the result of experiments involving:

Particle accelerators that produce proton and electron beams of ever increasing energy.
Detectors capable of measuring the complex interactions produced by the collisions of these high-energy beams.
The protons will be accelerated in the Large Hadron Collider, an underground accelerator ring 27 kilometres in circumference at the CERN Laboratory in Geneva, Switzerland.
The particle beams are steered to collide in the middle of the ATLAS detector. The debris of the collisions reveal fundamental particle processes. The energy density in these high energy collisions is similar to the particle collision energy in the early universe less than a billionth of a second after the Big Bang.

In 2007 they are firing it up ..lol
they hope to create Black holes ...lol...OMFG lol ...dinosaurs in London anyone ..lol

full info here ...
http://pdg.lbl.gov/atlas/index.html

Sponsored Links
If they mangae to create a black hole lets hope that the power needed means it only lasts a fraction of a second! I've started nailing things down at home, started with the wife and kids, took ages to catch them mind ;)

joking aside have you seen the size of it ... bejesus who dug them tunnels all around Europe ...?

an if they do create a blackhole ...

which goes back too time travel fred ..

the whole of europe could be shot back to I dont know Prehistoric times
Oh MY ..lol ... as long as Raquel Welsh is there in that bikini

Sponsored Links
Moz said:
This work culminated in the unification of electromagnetism and radioactivity, by which we mean that they are now understood to be different aspects of the same phenomenon.

I'm certainly not very knowledgeable about any of this stuff, but I think what you might be referring to is the Unified Theory and the Grand Unified Theory.

There are 4 known forces;

1. electromagnetism, which is the force that sends a boxer's head backwards when his face comes into contact with another boxer's glove.

2. gravity, which keeps us on this planet against our will,

3. the weak nuclear force which holds atoms together so the electrons don't go flying off, and

4. the strong nuclear force which holds atomic nucleii together so they don't go flying apart.

At CERN, they've proved that at high enough energies, electromagnetism and the weak nuclear force merge together into one force, and the hope is that at high enough energies all the forces will merge together into one single force.

http://blueflag.phys.yorku.ca/yhep/gut.html

Here's a related story I found on the internet:

"A major research institution has recently announced the discovery of the heaviest element yet known to science. This new element has been tentatively named "Administratium."

Administratium has 1 neutron, 12 assistant neutrons, 75 deputy neutrons, and 111 assistant deputy neutrons, giving it an atomic mass of 312. These 312 particles are held together by a force called morons, which are surrounded by vast quantities of lepton-like particles called peons. Since Administratium has no electrons, it is inert.

However, it can be detected as it impedes every reaction with which it comes into contact. A minute amount of Administratium causes one reaction to take over four days to complete instead of less than a second.

Administratium has a normal half-life of three years; it does not decay but instead undergoes a reorganization. In fact, Administratium's mass will actually increase over time, since each reorganization causes some morons to become neutrons forming isodopes. This characteristic of moron-promotion leads some scientists to speculate that Administratium is formed whenever morons reach a certain quantity in concentration. This hypothetical quantity is referred to as "Critical Morass."

You will know it when you see it. "

I think I've just seen it! :D But I still think it was better with Billy Piper in it.

Mark

Milk, no sugar ta.

Moz said:
These discoveries were the result of experiments involving:
Particle accelerators that produce proton and electron beams of ever increasing energy.
Detectors capable of measuring the complex interactions produced by the collisions of these high-energy beams.
The protons will be accelerated in the Large Hadron Collider, an underground accelerator ring 27 kilometres in circumference at the CERN Laboratory in Geneva, Switzerland.
The particle beams are steered to collide in the middle of the ATLAS detector. The debris of the collisions reveal fundamental particle processes. The energy density in these high energy collisions is similar to the particle collision energy in the early universe less than a billionth of a second after the Big Bang.
In 2007 they are firing it up ..lol
they hope to create Black holes ...lol...OMFG lol ...dinosaurs in London anyone ..lol
I thought this sounded familiar - it's featured in Dan Brown's novel, Angels and Demons. Good book.

:LOL:

Back to the original topic. Some very strange things have been found by particle physicists, including particles that seem to have "spin" characteristics that are identical and linked to each other even though they are physically seperated by large distances

Now that is seriously weird.

Some physicists are beginning to think they are finding evidence of intelligent design

pickles said:
:LOL:

Back to the original topic. Some very strange things have been found by particle physicists, including particles that seem to have "spin" characteristics that are identical and linked to each other even though they are physically seperated by large distances

Now that is seriously weird.

Some physicists are beginning to think they are finding evidence of intelligent design
but could "intelligent design" simply be put down to a property of physics as yet unidentified?

Sponsored Links
Back