Energy efficient light bulbs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
But the colour rendition is very poor. They give an unpleasant light, and like all fluorescent tubes, flicker rapidly.

I've heard of "full spectrum fluorescent" lighting; that it is energy efficient AND better than both tungsten and normal fluorescent, but is still unavailable in the UK - certainly in compact BC fit lamps....

Sponsored Links
don't know what bulbs you're using matey but all the energy efficient bulbs I've tested and used are perfectly fine with no flicker at all.
Osram are one of the better ones to use, last 12-15,000 hours compared to 6-8000 hours for some other brands!

I had a load of Philips and Osram ones free from some energy saving initiative, the very long life ones and also some £1.90 Ikea ones. They do not flicker and they come on instantly. The only difference is between these and normal bulbs is they take a few seconds to warm up and reach full brightness. All modern energy saving bulbs run at about 20kHz (20,000Hz), flickering 400 times faster than old-fashioned fluorescents that run at 50Hz. The eye cannot possibly detect flicker at 20kHz, even expensive digital flicker-free TVs only run at about 100Hz.

I have not found any problem with colour, they are nothing like the cold light of a traditional 4 or 5ft fluorescent strip.

If you want something a bit more efficient than old-fashioned light bulbs with really good colour rendering you'll have to go for halogen spots. From experience the decent makes (like Osram) give more light per watt than cheap ones.

Sponsored Links
In a way you can understand somebody not spotting that, as it's the ONLY post in that subject of the How To section.

But the two-way lighting Q that our belligerent newcomer responded to yesterday was waaay down the list in that section - you have to scroll down past dozens of others, all in reverse chronological order. It's not the oldest either. Wonder why he picked that one?

I think he was just being an arse to be honest, every thread he posted in he was spoiling for a fight, he's not worth the effort.

and you lot thought i was a cocky arguementative t*at until he came along!!!!

hang on ban, according to somebody round here who's been rather obnoxious, we're all buddys in love with each other. Does that mean we're not going out anymore? You b**ch!!

:LOL:

It's that protruding forehead and the way you drag your knuckles on the ground. I'm sorry, Louie - I've been trying to find a way to tell you, but I just don't fancy you any more...

The protruding forehead is because of all the fat accumulating! SEE QUANTUM PHYSICS TOPIC...

Sniff, sniff!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back