engineered oak flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
been busy preparing the floor for laying and wondered as all the planks are exactly the same length do you line the joints up as in brick walls, or do you stagger them all, asthetically which have you found to look the best

Sponsored Links
staggered surely?
You use the offcut from a row to start the next

staggered surely?
You use the offcut from a row to start the next

I agree - though I think if the offcut is too small e.g. less than 30cm, then it shouldn't be used to start the next as not as stable. Though this may only be a guideline for a floating floor.

Even though all the planks are the same length, your 'staggering' may also be affected if the veneer on the engineered wood is in one piece or two joined.
Maybe need to open the first pack and have a look.
The engineered oak floor I recently did had a mixture and I wanted to make sure even with staggered planks, that I didn't inadvertently have two 'veneer joins' next to each other. If that makes sense!

Sponsored Links
hi all
thanks for the replies
the planks are 2100 x 180 wide one strip venner good quality.
if i start from the hall door with a full board. and the next a half board next to it. i have enough bad orners to get rid of most waste ( cut boards) plus the full lenght works out at about 40mm less than full boards so do i go full,half,full,three quarters full quarter etc or just full then half all the way. difficult to explain but if i cut them all as halfs will it look weird, then again as they will be all full boards they will match up anyway. finally as the hall will only work out at 5 boards wide am i just being a bit ... picky to say the least

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back